PDA

View Full Version : Revit and The Little Guy

MartyC
2003-07-20, 09:48 AM
Thought I might offer my story as a slightly different point of view on Revit since there has been some very fascinating comment on various issues lately.

I started my career in the late 70's as an architectural drafting cadet for what could be described as an old-school high quality and somewhat exclusive practice. This was I guess the end of the pure art era of architectural production, perfection in manual drawing, pen-and-ink perspectives, watercolours and perfect detailing to the nth degree. The pressure to perform was immense and all for $30.00 per week!!! It was a very good training ground though, and a love of the art and artistry of architecture has never left.

I was first exposed to CAD in about 1985 as a self emplyed designer, with Autocad demonstrated on two screens and an IBM PC XT. While the dream of a paper-free office and a new medium excited me, my brain and the computer simply refused to interface, there were just too many processes between my hand, eye and paper to be even remotely intuitive. I remember suggesting then to the sales guy that a large digitiser and screen combined would be too cool, and would allow me to draw instantly, and just the way I was used to. He thought I was just nuts, and obviously not ready for the type of technology he had to offer....

Mid 90's as a registered Architect, I was talking with another architect, in his 60's, who expressed his respect for my presentation work but asked why a relatively young fella like me was still manual. He showed me some of his drawings and it was the heringbone paving that did it! had to admit I was using Letratone on trace........... did I feel embarrassed!

I sought out all options, ArchiCad, R12, etc, attended every promo event I could to make a well informed decision. The frustration mounted......still not intuitive, still too complex and too many circuitive steps to intefere with the pure creation process. I wanted to be an architect, not an IT guy, I wanted to create on my terms, not the software's terms, and cost vs production/profit was important to a new and very small practice. I settled on AutoCad LT as a compromise as it filled the documentation requirements, learning curve not too large, and at least a simple tool that allowed communication with the rest of the industry.

Late 2002, developing a new practice in a new country I was evaluating ADT3.3, when the sales guy showed me Revit which he was evaluating. I got a demo disk, and I think I was hooked before I got to the end of the intro project. I bought the product with no hesitation.

My background is not with large practices, I have not had extensive CAD training, Ia am not an IT genius and I have had no direct 3D experience prior to Revit. This may have made the transition easier, as I have not had to unlearn an extensive previous package, but I will say this of Revit....It allows me to be an Architect in the fullest traditional meaning of the word. I can rapidly develop a concept, immediately test the develping model, rapidly produce sections and details that I know are accurate, and I have the freedom of time that I can focus on design.

I was productive in Revit from day 3, and had a townhouse proposal (fully rendered) at the local council for a town planning consent application in 10 days from first loading software. Skill, speed and presentation quality is constantly developing and I am having fun with every step and stage of development. The fun aspect is often overlooked when analysing families and parameters etc., but I like having fun at work every day.

The point I am making here is that if someone like me, coming from a relatively 'CAD insulated' and traditional envoironment can intuitively and effectively connect with the Revit logic, someone is doing something right.

The comments on the Wacom screens is to me the single most exciting thing I have read. Finally, the whole architectural CAD process appears to be able to complete a full circle to a point where an Architect can simply draw, but the advantage is not just lines but whole elements in a single stroke. The Revit philosophy and interface fundamentally appears to allow that to happen in a way that I have not seen before.

To anyone considering Revit, clear the mind then do the demo. To all the rest of you, isnt it nice to be an active part of the future of our profession. :D

Urban D
2003-07-20, 11:29 PM
Thanks for your insight Marty. I too run a small one man business and have just changed over to Revit from CAD. I am a self taught CAD draftsman and run a contract drafting business for architects & design companies.

Similar to you Marty, something about Revit grabbed hold of me the first time I saw it demonstrated 6 weeks ago. Since then I have read everything I could on Revit & comparisms - this site has been of great assistance, thanks guys.

I am now spending long hours every night familiarising myself with Revit and waiting for the right project to get started on.

I love Revit.
:D

beegee
2003-07-21, 12:16 AM
Marty,

Thanks for sharing your story.

I'm pretty well blown away that you are producing such high quality renderings with so little experience of the software. 8)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

As a Brisbaneite, I'm trying to work out which firm of architects you started out with. I think I've narrowed it down to about 3. Its still a small town in many ways. :lol:

beegee

MartyC
2003-07-22, 06:23 AM
Hey beegee,

Thanks again for the kind comments on my work, I guess I am just getting a major buzz with Revit with the way it fits my process........so I cant take all the credit :wink:

I am actually a realtively recent add-on to the Brissie architectural scene, coming from NZ. My formative years were in Christchurch with a heavy influence of one Sir Miles Warren for whom I worked for a brief time, among others. Good time to be learning the craft, end of modernist/brutalist era (with neo-gothic undertones!!) into the post-modern and beyond. Had 10 years in Auckland before moving here and loving every moment.

On another topic, researched prices for the Wacom flatscreen tablets, recently dropped from $9k to $6k for the 18", might have to arrange a demo in a couple of months...........let me know if interested, this includes any other locals too.

Cheers M

beegee
2003-07-22, 06:38 AM
6K is a lot of moulla !

I could get another revit seat for that :D ( well almost ... )

cheers

beegee

MartyC
2003-07-22, 07:47 AM
Beegee,

Darn right its a lot of moula! :shock:

When the guy first said 9.2k I said you gotta be bloody kidding! (europe for two!) He came back with the just over 6 figure. (still a european holiday). I figure I may have some interest at about 3.5k. (only 58 optical mice!)

I'm hoping that the plunging prices on tft screens may have the required effect.........or maybe our local software supplier may like to do a bulk deal!!! :wink:

I am also interested because being a lefty, Revits menu on the left is perrrfect for a pen as no obscuring of screen while picking. Exciting!!!

Cheers M

mlgatzke
2003-07-23, 12:38 AM
8K? I think you saw the price of a Cintiq plus Alias software. The 18" Cintiq alone is only $3500. Still a chunk of change, but not as much as 8K.

beegee
2003-07-23, 12:51 AM
MG,

Marty is talking aussie dollars. Think pesos !

$US 3500 = $ A 5380. Add shipping, handling, tarriff, resellers margin, gst ..etc etc could add up to $ A 8K at the end of the day. :cry:

beegee

mlgatzke
2003-07-24, 04:17 AM
WOW! Ouch. Sorry, I misunderstood.

beegee
2003-07-24, 06:19 AM
Yeah, but there are compensations. You pay a LOT more for vegemite than we do. :lol:

beegee

MartyC
2003-07-24, 07:02 AM
Hmmmm....

6 grand could keep me in Vegemite for 46 years............. :shock:

I'm getting nervous !

M

This was becoming a little too far out of the topic so I have shunted the rest of it to 'the thinking man's game' in the Out There forum.

Pete

beegee
2003-07-27, 08:10 AM
Hi Peter J,

Yes, its going to be an interesting 4 horse race, not to mention some of the other nags that could upset the thoroughbreds.

The good thing about last night ( for me anyway ) is that the Wallabies can only improve from here ( The eternal optimist utters his last words )

Looking forward to some lively discussions around cup time.

beegee

MartyC
2003-07-27, 08:28 AM
eeeeek...................been truncated :shock: :shock:

M

beegee
2003-07-27, 08:32 AM
eeeeek...................been truncated :shock: :shock:

M

Yep, even though we were clearly still on-topic talking 'bout those little guys. :wink:

You just can't trust those moderators. :)

beegee