PDA

View Full Version : Back-up copies of rvt files

Wagurto
2004-08-19, 07:05 PM
How Do I control the number of back-up copies revit creates? I over flowing by back system with incredible large amount of data from revit back-ups
Thanks

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-19, 07:27 PM
When you saveas, notice the OPTIONS button next to CANCEL and SAVE. You'll find an option to change the number of backups in the dialog that opens when you click on it. Don't reduce it to zero.

For file management create a search for files using Windows Explorer that have the .####.rvt format in the name and save it. Then use it to grab all the back files in your project folder and delete the ones that are a few days older than yesterday. Just one approach. Another is to create a DOS batch file that you can run from time to time to "purge" these same files.

Naturally great care should be taken using either of these ideas.

Wagurto
2004-08-19, 07:52 PM
Steve:
Is it possible to save the back up files to a differente directory from the one the original file is save?
thanks

beegee
2004-08-19, 09:55 PM
Steve:
Is it possible to save the back up files to a differente directory from the one the original file is save?
thanks
Not at present.

SCShell
2004-08-20, 02:37 PM
Hi there,

It has been a while since I set up my initial settings; however, I seem to remember that I could set my backup copies to 3. I did this a long time ago, but now I only have the 3 latest copies at all times. I think it was in the same dialog box as the tool tip assistance levels and timed backup control.

Hope this is true
Steve Shell