PDA

View Full Version : Its Revit the right tool for this job?

Wagurto
2007-12-04, 02:49 PM
I've been hire by a Forensic building company to do a building survey and draw in the elevations of the building cracks and stucco failures. I modeled the building fine and I extracted the views of each unit elevations. They marked the elevations with hatches that represent the areas with trouble. I need to draw back those hatchs in the independent views but later they want a whole view of the builing elevation with the marks. The problem is that the hatchs are only visible on the partial view but do not appear on the model. What tool can I use to mark it on the views and also to appear on the model and others views.
thanks

sbrown
2007-12-04, 03:01 PM
The paint bucket tool should do the job. Basically you'll create a material for each of the conditions, then use the split face tool(not split tool) to divide the elevations, then paint bucket set to the approp. material to apply it.

bclarch
2007-12-04, 03:39 PM
Make sure that the patterns that you create are model patterns.

tomnewsom
2007-12-04, 04:35 PM
Or, create the markups as a detail group on the full elevation drawing, and "paste in place" that group in every small view. This wlil keep things coordinated, without having to mess about with the model.

ian.nichols
2007-12-04, 10:18 PM
Another option:

Set up work planes on each surface in question, and mark on the cracks with model lines- they are then part of the actual model.

tomnewsom
2007-12-05, 11:15 AM
If the desired result is hatches, then detail objects are the way to go. You don't want to have to turn off these things in every view!

Wagurto
2007-12-05, 12:45 PM
Thanks guys for your input. But hatches as detail objects are not an option because every hatch has differente shape according to the crack and failure. I think my only option here is split faces and apply material with paint brush.
thanks

bclarch
2007-12-05, 03:15 PM
One additional word of caution. The last time that I used the split surface tool extensively was in Release 8. It was somewhat balky. If you edited a split surface that had been painted it would often revert to the default finish when you finished the sketch. I hope that this has been fixed by now but I thought that I would give you a "heads up" just in case,