PDA

View Full Version : Sliding Door Direction

jon111712
2007-12-04, 11:10 PM
How does everyone handle showing while side of a sliding door is active? We typically show an arrow in elevation, but I can't seem to find a good way to add that to my door family.

phyllisr
2007-12-05, 03:43 AM
I would probably not do this again and for the moment, we are covering this in the legend view using the traditional OXO or XOX or whatever. I get nervous sharing experimental stuff because I do not want anyone to assume all the rest of the junk in the family is what I would recommend. But here goes...

Attached is an older family where I nested an arrow into the plan view - you could do the same thing in your elevation view. Please do not consider this an example of a "good" family since it is way more complicated than necessary and I was just experimenting with methods to get the sliding doors to overlap without compromising the scheduled widths.

As I said, it may not have been such a good idea in the first place, but I try lots of things that we ultimately do not incorporate into our network library. Our newer families are way better and way simpler but did not include the arrow that you mentioned.

Enjoy.

DoTheBIM
2007-12-05, 02:10 PM
If you need it to flex with different widths you could make a generic family of the arrow (in elevation) using just symbolic lines and load it into the door family. or just draw symbolic lines on the door family elevation itself.

jon111712
2007-12-05, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the help.

1. I tried using the symbollic line method, and it worked well at certain scales. In the family editor, I couldn't see anyplace to add a filled region, so I tried creating my arrow with single symbolic lines. When I increased the scale, you could see the gaps between the lines, so I kind of wrote that off as a solution in the beginning.

2. I also tried creating the arrow as a detail component and generic annotation family. I was able to nest it in the plan view similar to the example that phyllisr posted. When I went to the elevation view though the symbol icon was greyed out, so again I felt stuck.

When I was digging through the posted example, I found that I could actual bring the detail item in to the elevation through the project browser. So that did work the way I wanted. It also flipped the arrow when the door flipped. That is going to be my solution then. Thanks again for the help.

Jon

BomberAIA
2007-12-06, 12:19 PM
In a third party program called Ketiv which was an add on to Acad, they had a family that showed one leaf in plan opened. That was the way we use to show it my hand. I haven't down it yet, but you could create a family that would represent it in plan.

phyllisr
2007-12-06, 03:08 PM
...they had a family that showed one leaf in plan opened...
The OOTB families do not do this but I made mine work this way because we were ADT users before Revit and that is how ADT did it. If you cannot figure out how I made this work, let me know. In the interest of simplicity and keeping the family small, I did not make the modeled objects flex to an opening percentage, only the symbolic plan view. Also, this has parameters unique to the way we schedule doors and uses a nesting method for the panels and may be more complex than you need. Unless you really care, you probably do not need the overlap parameter either. But you can save out the nested Sliding Door Opening family and nest it into your own families. Should accomplish the graphic representation you wanted.

This is an interior sliding door used typically for closets that has a track trim component with a visibility parameter (some clients value-engineer these little things out of the project). Sharing is a good thing. Enjoy.