PDA

View Full Version : Wall Types: Naming & Coding

Mark James
2007-12-05, 01:51 AM
As a result of a recent change in employment, I have the opportunity to again implement Revit.
One of my implementation strategies is to keep the operation of Revit as simple as possible.

This would include the creation a file containing all wall types, so users could easily open the file and copy & paste the types they need for their projects.
Benefits are: Consistency and ease of use.
The challenge for me is to come up with (simple?) system for creating wall types, naming them and coding them in a project.

My dilemma at the moment is the methodology for grouping and naming the wall types.
Previous methods used in the office on AutoCAD were ad-hoc, requiring users to create new types for each new project started and code them on a project by project basis.

I have read several posts on this topic, and many have suggested excellent conventions, however, I still have questions.

Below is my initial idea for a naming convention

1. Identify walls by trade, i.e. P-Precast, M-Masonry units, F-Framed, C-Composite (masonry veneer)
2. Then size (& spacing) 90(.6), 110, 140 etc
So a 90mm stud at 600mm ctrs would become FS-90.6 (S for steel)
3. Facings: This is where it all unravels...

There are just too many combinations to contemplate (lining type, thickness, multiple linings, etc), so should I separate wall types from the linings?
Do I then need to create a series of walls as linings and devise a naming convention for these?
This seems counter-productive.

I am reluctant to create only a few basic types and let users add to this when the project requires it, just in case it leads to modeling inconsistencies and bad habits within the office.

Suggestions, anyone?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-05, 06:49 AM
You asked for it Mark. ;)

I am reluctant to create only a few basic types and let users add to this when the project requires it, just in case it leads to modeling inconsistencies and bad habits within the office.

I am a firm believer in creating a logical, clearly documented methodology that creates a framework for people to work inside of. If the method is clear and the logic is sound then users can create what they need above and beyond what is contained in the template and adhere to the logical standard.

If the only type of work your office is involved in stick framed wood construction then create a template with all your wall styles in it. If they deal with a more diverse range of construction types then is it really useful to have to wade through steel stud, concrete block, wood frame, pre-cast concrete etc each time you want to grab a wall, roof or floor?

I agree on using a project file to store office standards but not to be used as a ‘project template’. It should contain materials, fill patterns and assembly definitions including project parameters for all assemblies, basically all the stuff needed to create consistent assembly styles. Create plan and sections views that contain a sample of each style, logically grouped, (by assembly type, rating etc.) and then users can simply copy/paste the style they need from this template to the active project. New styles, once vetted by the office BIM 'controller', can be added to the master template using the same process. Users can also use transfer project standards to ensure that their project files are current with the office standard. (assuming names haven't been changed.) This template can also contain your legend views for assemblies so you can als build those quickly in new projects.

As for naming of styles, that is best decided by what type of work your office does. If limited to a small number of styles all the time then I’d use simple descriptive names that make sense to users.
For a more scaleable approach I like to use the following convention
<Basic Construction Type>-<Stud/Structure Size>-<Finish Side A>-<Cavity Fill>-<Finish Side B>-<Fire Resistance Rating>

This would create a wall style name something like
SS-150-BB-A-BB-20
Steel stud – 150mm – 2 layers type x gypsum board – acoustic batt insulation – 2 layers type x gypsum board – 2hr fire rating

WS-02x04-A-Z-A-FS
Wood stud – 2x4 – ½” gypsum board – no fill in cavity – ½” gypsum board – Unrated Fire Separation

Construction types are two letter identifiers (WS=Wood stud, CN-Concrete, etc)
The materials for each side are assigned letters (A = ½” gypsum board, B = 5/8” type ‘x’ gypsum board, etc.)
Fill materials are assigned letters as well (A = Acoustic batt insulation, D=Lead Lining, Z=Nothing)
Looks daunting in the beginning but people get used to it fairly quickly. Walls of the same type are sorted/grouped in the type selector (and the complete name fits inside the fixed width of the type selector and tells the whole story at a glance)
Working in Canada I have the added burden of needing a standard that is workable and scalable in both imperial and metric.

A “DD” or “PH” class of assemblies is useful during early stages as Design Development or Placeholder assemblies. These should always include a core as well as a finish on the inside and outside so location lines can be assigned with confidence.

For complex wall types I also have “FL” assemblies for Finish Layers such as ceramic tile or plywood dados in service areas. This way you don’t need to create separate wall styles for every condition known to man and the base wall can be tagged and scheduled separate from the finish. The FL designation can be use for floor and wall finish layers.

Exterior walls are generally given ‘real’ names and can be built as complete assemblies or as structure with a finish layer on the interior side if required.

Enough to get you started thinking?:roll: .As long as it is logical, consistent and clearly explained and documented, I think people are just happy to have something to follow.

DoTheBIM
2007-12-05, 02:00 PM
Dimitri covered a lot there in one post. Only thing I've done significantly different is not use a coded method, instead I spell out what the wall is, but my structure of the name is still very similar. Here's an example of what I got so far. I have 5 data types if you will and a dash goes in place of data type that doesn't apply. Something like this Function Type Width - MaterialDescription. The dash in my structure is actially reserved for other families, but in walls, it serves to help visually identify the structure. Spaces are reserved as data type separators. underscores are used within a data type to imitate a space. I too have made a wall project to contain all these. and will likely have users "transfer project standards" from it and select wall types and materials, and overwrite the ones currently in their projects.

Demising Wood 2x4 - Drywall_Air_Stud_Drywall
Demising Wood 2x4 - Drywall_Air_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Exterior Coverage - - Brick_Sheathing
Exterior Coverage - - Stone_Sheathing
Exterior Coverage - - VinylSiding_Sheathing
Exterior Wood 2x4 - Brick_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x4 - FireDrywall_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x4 - Stone_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x4 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud
Exterior Wood 2x4 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x4 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_FireDrywall
Exterior Wood 2x4 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - Brick_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - FireDrywall_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - Stone_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_Drywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_FireDrywall
Exterior Wood 2x6 - VinylSiding_Sheathing_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Foundation Block 4"- NoSillPlate
Foundation Block 8"- Brick_CMU_NoSillPlate
Foundation Block 8"- Brick_CMU_WithSillPlate
Foundation Block 8"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Block 8"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Block 10"- Brick_CMU_NoSillPlate
Foundation Block 10"- Brick_CMU_WithSillPlate
Foundation Block 10"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Block 10"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Block 12"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Block 12"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Poured 8"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Poured 8"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Poured 10"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Poured 10"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Precast 9"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Precast 9"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Precast 9.25"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Precast 9.25"- WithSillPlate
Foundation Precast 10.25"- NoSillPlate_Unexcavated
Foundation Precast 10.25"- WithSillPlate
Interior Wood 2x4 - Drywall_Stud
Interior Wood 2x4 - Drywall_Stud_Drywall
Interior Wood 2x4 - Drywall_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Interior Wood 2x4 - MoistureDrywall_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Interior Wood 2x6 - Drywall_Stud
Interior Wood 2x6 - Drywall_Stud_Drywall
Interior Wood 2x6 - Drywall_Stud_MoistureDrywall
Interior Wood 2x6 - MoistureDrywall_Stud_MoistureDrywall

bclarch
2007-12-05, 02:56 PM
Two fine examples. Thanks for sharing.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-05, 04:36 PM
Dimitri covered a lot there in one post.

Those who know me have never found me to be short of words.:Oops:
What can I say, it was a slow night :beer:

Mark James
2007-12-05, 10:26 PM
Great examples.
I appreciate the time and effort you put into those posts.
Quality and quantity!

Thanks for your help.

B. Strube
2008-10-07, 12:02 PM
You asked for it Mark. ;)

I am a firm believer in creating a logical, clearly documented methodology that creates a framework for people to work inside of. If the method is clear and the logic is sound then users can create what they need above and beyond what is contained in the template and adhere to the logical standard.

If the only type of work your office is involved in stick framed wood construction then create a template with all your wall styles in it. If they deal with a more diverse range of construction types then is it really useful to have to wade through steel stud, concrete block, wood frame, pre-cast concrete etc each time you want to grab a wall, roof or floor?

I agree on using a project file to store office standards but not to be used as a ‘project template’. It should contain materials, fill patterns and assembly definitions including project parameters for all assemblies, basically all the stuff needed to create consistent assembly styles. Create plan and sections views that contain a sample of each style, logically grouped, (by assembly type, rating etc.) and then users can simply copy/paste the style they need from this template to the active project. New styles, once vetted by the office BIM 'controller', can be added to the master template using the same process. Users can also use transfer project standards to ensure that their project files are current with the office standard. (assuming names haven't been changed.) This template can also contain your legend views for assemblies so you can als build those quickly in new projects.

As for naming of styles, that is best decided by what type of work your office does. If limited to a small number of styles all the time then I’d use simple descriptive names that make sense to users.
For a more scaleable approach I like to use the following convention
<Basic Construction Type>-<Stud/Structure Size>-<Finish Side A>-<Cavity Fill>-<Finish Side B>-<Fire Resistance Rating>

This would create a wall style name something like
SS-150-BB-A-BB-20
Steel stud – 150mm – 2 layers type x gypsum board – acoustic batt insulation – 2 layers type x gypsum board – 2hr fire rating

WS-02x04-A-Z-A-FS
Wood stud – 2x4 – ½” gypsum board – no fill in cavity – ½” gypsum board – Unrated Fire Separation

Construction types are two letter identifiers (WS=Wood stud, CN-Concrete, etc)
The materials for each side are assigned letters (A = ½” gypsum board, B = 5/8” type ‘x’ gypsum board, etc.)
Fill materials are assigned letters as well (A = Acoustic batt insulation, D=Lead Lining, Z=Nothing)
Looks daunting in the beginning but people get used to it fairly quickly. Walls of the same type are sorted/grouped in the type selector (and the complete name fits inside the fixed width of the type selector and tells the whole story at a glance)
Working in Canada I have the added burden of needing a standard that is workable and scalable in both imperial and metric.

A “DD” or “PH” class of assemblies is useful during early stages as Design Development or Placeholder assemblies. These should always include a core as well as a finish on the inside and outside so location lines can be assigned with confidence.

For complex wall types I also have “FL” assemblies for Finish Layers such as ceramic tile or plywood dados in service areas. This way you don’t need to create separate wall styles for every condition known to man and the base wall can be tagged and scheduled separate from the finish. The FL designation can be use for floor and wall finish layers.

Exterior walls are generally given ‘real’ names and can be built as complete assemblies or as structure with a finish layer on the interior side if required.

Enough to get you started thinking?:roll: .As long as it is logical, consistent and clearly explained and documented, I think people are just happy to have something to follow.

Dimitri,
Your wall type naming convention seems fairly straight forward. However, how do you incorporate the wall tags on plans? We have traditionally utilized a two digit wall type number for our tags, but would like a more descriptive tag that is tied to the Revit wall type designation more closely. The problem would be that the name becomes simply too long for a tag on the drawings. Any thoughts?

sbrown
2008-10-07, 01:05 PM
I've just been working on the same thing. I'm doing ours the following way. In one revit project I have all the wall types, there details, schedules and filters.

For type tagging, I'm using the following

1.5A.3 = 1HR - 3 5/8" MTL. STUD W/ GWB.

First is the Rating
NR, 1HR, 2HR, etc.

Second is the Division

5 for Metal, 3 for Concrete, etc

Third is the Type
A, B, C, etc

Fourth is the Nom size of Structure

1 = 1 1/2" or 1 5/8"
2= 2 1/2"
3 = 3 5/8"
etc.

Then the Name is actually what it is so its easy for the user to select the wall he wants.

ie 1HR - 3 5/8" MTL. STUD W/ GWB.

patricks
2008-10-07, 01:16 PM
Wow guys, that sure is alot of info!

We just use descriptive names and tag wall types as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. and then have a wall type legend.

But then again there's only 3 of us using Revit.

nsinha73
2008-10-20, 04:00 PM
We found the most effective method. Very Easily Identified.

"EX 6M SP II G"

EX = Exterior
6M = 6" Metal Studs
S = Stucco
P = Plywood Sheathing
II = Indicates Core Boundary
G = Gypsum Board

We already know half of the termnology so there is no need to be So decriptive....such as Ply under Stucco.....Every Architect knows their construction....Stucco, Membrane, then Plywood sheathing......Simplify the name for identification purpose only....Don't overkill with description ;-)

twiceroadsfool
2008-10-20, 04:35 PM
Here is a copy and paste of the strategy were using here. Its not perfect, but for 90% of the walls (both interior and exterior) it works great, and since it gets more specific from left to right, theyre very easy to sort through in the drop down.

Naming Wall Types-

Field 1- Interior or Exterior. This should also be correct in the Walls “Type Properties”

Field 2- **For Interior Walls Only** TYPE XX (xx is the Type Mark Parameter, and the Partition Type)
If you are adding Project Specific Interior Partitions, place them AFTER the Standard Partitions

Field 3- Thickness- (7-1/4”) or (1’3-3/4”), etc.
Verify that this matches the Thickness in the Walls Structure
In parenthesis to avoid hyphen confusion

Field 4- Hours of Fire Rating. OMIT IF UNRATED WALL

Field 5- Exterior Finish Material (For double layers, use a layer quantity prefix… IE “2-Gyp” )
-Verify that the “Exterior” coincides with the “Exterior” in the Wall Structure
-If no finish use NONE in capital letters

Field 6- Core Materials. If multiple, separate with slash. “CMU/STD”

Field 7- Interior Finish Material (Same convention as Field 5)

Field 8- Additional items on wall OMIT IF NONE “-COPING” “-EIFS BAND”

EDIT: The table got all jacked up on the copy and paste... but its in the PDF if you care to read it...

Examples:

INT-TYPE 14-(4-7/8”)-NONE-MTL STD-2 GYP

The wall is interior, it is wall type 16, it has a total thickness of 4-7/8”, it has no fire rating (OMITTED), it has no Finish Materials on the exterior, a metal stud frame, gyp board the other face, and no additional added items (OMITTED)

INT-TYPE 16-(8-1/2”)2HR-2 XGYP-MTL STD-2 XGYP
The wall is Interior, is partition type 16, it has a total thickness of 8-1/2”. It is a 2 hour rated partition. 2 layers of X-GYP on the exterior, a metal stud structure, and 2 layers of X-GYP on the Interior. No additional added items (omitted)

EXT-(8-3/4”)-EIFS-MTL STUD-GYP-COPING

The wall is Exterior, with a total thickness of 8-3/4”. It has EIFS on the Exterior, with a Metal Stud structure and Gyp on the interior. The wall type has a Coping embedded in it.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-20, 09:40 PM
Dimitri,
Your wall type naming convention seems fairly straight forward. However, how do you incorporate the wall tags on plans? We have traditionally utilized a two digit wall type number for our tags, but would like a more descriptive tag that is tied to the Revit wall type designation more closely. The problem would be that the name becomes simply too long for a tag on the drawings. Any thoughts?

Sorry I never got back to you on this.

I generally will keep my wall tags very simple and don't try to get too much information into them for the reason you stated.

I have never tagged exterior assemblies (personal preference) because they should be described in building and wall section views.
Concrete and CMU walls are shown graphically (shaded and hatched respectively) and if required are tagged with a Fire rating (05H, 10H, 15H etc.)
The finishes applied to those walls receive an ST or FW (strapping or furring) designation.
Interior partitions are just W## to establish basic types and added letter to signify variations of the basic types.
As a result of this breaking down you end up with tags that generally don't need to be any longer than four characters.
As I said in my first post, as long as it's logical, scalable and documented somewhere pretty much any system can work.