PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Disciplines Setup

mmack
2007-12-06, 04:29 PM
So we currently use Revit Architecture and Revit Structure pretty much exclusively on all our jobs. We are implementing Revit MEP first quarter next year. As I sat in a couple classes at AU for collaboration I heard that some firms use one project file for all there disciplines. Meaning the Architects and engineers work in one file.

We have always had a seperate project for each discipline (obviously just structural and architectural)

So my questions are:

You can use just one project file for all three Revit applications?

If so:
Who has done this?

How successful is this?

Worksets a plenty?!

I played a little with this and it seems to work fine - We may try it on our next project based on others feedback here.

Many thanks to T.J. who held a class on Project Template setup at AU, and taught how to really modify your project browser.

ACE001
2007-12-06, 05:08 PM
If you work on large projects your file will get too heavy to efficiently work in. We always do separate files for each discipline and linked into each other. We use copy-monitor when we need to.
Essentially all the applications are the same. The different versions add the various tools and so forth for each discipline. This is why you can open and MEP or structural file in Revit Architecture and work in them.
I wouldn't recomend it for large projects and I personnally wouldn't do it even for moderate sized projects because of various reasons but mainly maintaining control and sanity policing the file with new/inexperienced users.

ian.nichols
2007-12-06, 07:28 PM
Our projects are of a real modest scale- so it allows us to set up Worksharing. We keep it simple, one workset for each Team Member. One model- nice and simple, works a treat.