PDA

View Full Version : When to Start in Revit

lhanyok
2007-12-06, 06:11 PM
We are in the process of implementing Revit within our firm on a project-by project basis. I have someone that would like to start working in Revit with a multi-family housing project. She has a little bit of experience, along with the other person that would work on the project.
However. the project already has a Schematic Design Set completed in AutoCAD - plans, sections, elevations, area calculations, etc. (And now we've found out the project schedule could possibly be shortened by 90 days.) Has too much of the value of Revit been lost at this point to begin using it? I realize there's always value in using it, especially when it comes to coordinating a CD set, but I still feel like too much work is duplicated when something has been done that far along in AutoCAD. I'm also trying to push people to ask to start working on a project in Revit before they do a ton of work in CAD. Any ideas?

ideadude
2007-12-06, 06:19 PM
From you post I would strongly recommend ..... Don't this late in the game, you have gone too far with the project in Acad, AND you staff is not experienced enough with the program.
You will only have some frustrated and over worked staff and an ****** off client because you will miss the deadline. Not a good combination.

dgreen.49364
2007-12-06, 06:37 PM
I am of the other opinion. Do it in Revit and do it now. I've been there where we went through SD in Autocad and thought we had gone too far to start over in Revit. We reached a point later where I wished with all my heart that we had started over in Revit...but then it really WAS too late.

t1.shep
2007-12-06, 06:45 PM
Go to Revit. If not now when? When will your workers get the experience? You'll actually be able to transfer info into revit much quicker by importing your cad files and building the revit model from them (quicker by far than starting from scratch in revit.) I recently did this quite efficiently and within a day or two had all the info that was in the SD and DD set, plus it was now a Revit model that we've been able to leverage. I would highly recommend making the switch.

aaronrumple
2007-12-06, 06:55 PM
An experianced Revit user could start and redo everything with time to spair even with the shortened schedule.

However a new Revit user will blow the budget and schedule big time.

ian.nichols
2007-12-06, 07:24 PM
I would say too late with that particlular project.

Start fresh on a project of a manageable scale- and go 100% Revit- a couple of people in my office made the mistake of trying to mix 'n' match ACAD and Revit- ie use imported ACAD plans for the existing and then add just the proposed as model elements! Horrible, 'got real messy.

You can do EVERYTHING you need in Revit and Revit alone.

lhanyok
2007-12-06, 07:47 PM
Well, we just had a meeting about this project. As it turns out, even though the drawings are all done in AutoCAD, the elevations and sections don't match up with the plans (add that to the reasons why I'm happy I don't work in AutoCAD anymore), so the elevations are going to have to be adjusted to match the plans. Then it turns out that our staff has a bit more time to work on the project. So we've decided to go into Revit. Hoping for the best.

ian.nichols
2007-12-06, 08:36 PM
Well, we just had a meeting about this project. As it turns out, even though the drawings are all done in AutoCAD, the elevations and sections don't match up with the plans (add that to the reasons why I'm happy I don't work in AutoCAD anymore), so the elevations are going to have to be adjusted to match the plans. Then it turns out that our staff has a bit more time to work on the project. So we've decided to go into Revit. Hoping for the best.

Please let us all know how it goes? I'm really interested in new users experience with Revit.

ideadude
2007-12-06, 09:08 PM
I would agree, I think it is great to get a project started in Revit ASAP.

I was just concerned that your staff has little (no) experience, and the time issue,
Revit is a very different beast than Acad.
If you had an experienced staff I would say no problem, because it will go real fast.

Let your managers know that it may kill the budget!

Also try and avoid mix and match acad and revit. If you do find that you absolutely have to, then link the Acad files, don't import.

Thats my 2 cents.

(ps ... get some ram)

TroyGates
2007-12-06, 09:34 PM
You have a big advantage by doing it over in Revit, you will be able to catch many of the errors that easily slip by when done in 2D CAD. Lots of architects and contractors are taking CAD plans and rebuilding them in Revit just for finding errors before they ever start building.

You will be happy to resolve those errors now than doing lots of RFI's and change orders later.