PDA

View Full Version : Keynotes and Legends, they are incompatible

pfschuyler
2007-12-09, 06:40 PM
I've adapted pretty well to using keynotes, and I have to say its a huge improvement to my old methods of notation. I'm using the latest Revit build, and I am using the "filter by sheet" property to screen out the exact keynotes that appear in views placed on a sheet. Its working great so far across an entire set, more or less replacing all text notes.

Like others I'd like to see some keynote improvements (such an internal editing of keynotes) but I've found one big annoyance with keynotes and legends; they are not compatible with legends at all. Here's what happens:

I create a door/window legend and I want to use my keynotes to specify notes on those legends, like everywhere else on the drawings (plans, sections, elevations). On the legends, the only keynotes Revit will allow me to place are Material keynotes, which is definitely not appropriate. But worse than that, the "filter by sheet" keynote property simply does not work on sheets which have legends; the notes do not register on the sheet on which the legends are placed.

This is an annoyance because you invest in one method of production, then you have to stop, rethink your strategy...and create a workaround for a specific sheet. Autodesk should really try to eliminate these inconsistencies to improve Revit, and I hope they are listening.

Thanks.

Paul Schuyler

tkrich00
2008-10-01, 01:13 AM
I came across this issue today. Has anyone come up with a solution for this since the original Post? We went down this road for using a legend to do the partitions with keynotes because "detail components" don't work in detail views and now when we put a keynote legend "filtered by sheet" on the sheet it does not does not see the keynotes used in the partition legend. I thought this was the concept for legends? The only way to show the keynote legend that I have found is to show the entire list.

t1.shep
2008-11-10, 06:31 PM
I don't necessarily have an answer, but I believe the reason the keynotes won't show up on your legend, when placed and a sheet, has to do with the filter by sheet.
Because a legend can be placed on multiple sheets (the benefit of a legend) Revit won't know how to keynote the legend, because if the legend were to be placed on multiple sheets the keynoted elements might be different. So what makes a legend useful in one instance, doesn't make it good for keynoting.