PDA

View Full Version : Topography graphic flaws?

adegnan
2004-08-20, 02:45 PM
Can anyone determine why these "wedges" appear in elevation? As shown on the 3-d views the topography lays correctly.

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-20, 03:53 PM
I would guess either part of the model is bad or the view is bad:

try new views at the same locations and see if they are better
if that doesn't work, try turning everything off except the topo. If the topo then appears correctly, an object in another category is the culprit. Typical offenders are railings, stairs, and windows because of their complex geometry. Locate the offending category, then the offending object. Delete, purge, reload, replace the object and its parent family.
If the wedges still appear when all other model objects are off, the topo is bad; try recreating the topo or pasting the topo into a new file to see if there's something amiss with it
Let us know if any of this works for you, Abe.

HTH!

Allen Lacy
2004-08-20, 04:17 PM
I had the same problem a few months ago (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=3188). Never did find the problem (I was only doing some prelim drawings, so I didn't need section). Let us know if what Wes suggests works.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-20, 06:06 PM
Try changing where you cut the site in Elevation...move it closer to the building or farther away. What happens? Did you use Graded Region and if so...what is your phase filter setting?

gregcashen
2004-08-20, 08:05 PM
Try changing where you cut the site in Elevation...move it closer to the building or farther away. What happens? Did you use Graded Region and if so...what is your phase filter setting?

I suspect, as Steve suggests here, that if you play with the phase filters, you will be able to sort this out. i had a similar problem once and setting the filter to Show Complete worked for me.

Otherwise, railings seem to cause all sorts of display issues. Try turning them off and see if that helps.

adegnan
2004-09-02, 03:29 AM
Well I finally got around to checking this out. I tried Wes's suggestions etc. Yes, it appears when I am using a graded region. It changes when I move the elevation cut plane to other locations. No, it does not change when I turn off other geometry or when I create a new elevation.

If I cut and paste into a new project it still has the same flaw when I place the elevation in a similar position.

When I look closely at my topo and where the elevation cut is, this has something to do with the boundary edge of my topo. The edge of my topo goes from one corner to another distant corner, with an elevation change. So it seems as though this is related.

I'll have to (1) move my elevation cut plane so it avoids this (drawback: the topo isn't cut at the location I want it to but I can work around it...) or (2) change the topo to move it out further from my elevation cut (drawback: It will probably affect my graded region but I guess I can re-create the graded region if I want to).

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-02, 04:07 PM
It sounds like you might have a bit of terrain right in front of the view plane. Can you confirm this by looking at the model in 3D?

adegnan
2004-09-02, 07:08 PM
Yes, that is what I'm trying to say, I guess. It is right in front of the cut plane, but it is not at the height that is displayed in the image. But it seems as though since it is cutting the edge of the terrain in a very long wedge that this graphic flaw is showing up.

Wes Macaulay
2004-09-03, 01:19 PM
How about modifying the terrain right where the wedge is? If you could smooth it out a bit, maybe the view plane wouldn't have a weird bit of terrain to cut through...