PDA

View Full Version : Void Capabilities

jspartz
2007-12-12, 08:36 PM
Voids won't cut certain objects. I have a complex project and need to be able to cut holes out of stairs and ramps.

Has anyone figured out a way around this? I've tried exporting the geometry out as solids and polymeshes and then importing back in as a generic model to see if I could cut it, but it won't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only option is to export it, do it in a different program, and then import it back in. But then I lose the ability to change the location of the holes easily.

luigi
2007-12-13, 02:27 AM
Voids won't cut certain objects. I have a complex project and need to be able to cut holes out of stairs and ramps.

Has anyone figured out a way around this? I've tried exporting the geometry out as solids and polymeshes and then importing back in as a generic model to see if I could cut it, but it won't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the only option is to export it, do it in a different program, and then import it back in. But then I lose the ability to change the location of the holes easily.

Technically, if you can't use the standard stair tool to get the star you want, you could create it natively in Revit....which means that you will need to worry about the Risers and the Treads, etc., but you will be able to model it in Revit without having to deal with importing/exporting foreign geometry...

aaronrumple
2007-12-13, 04:19 AM
,,,exactly. Just look at the escalator example floating around.

I model a lot of small stair runs as slab edges so they tie into the concrete work.

jspartz
2007-12-13, 04:20 PM
I would do that. I did that it some other cases, but these are curved stairs with risers not placed parallel with each other, and curved ramps with edges not cut perpendicular but wanting to be at one elevation height along the edge, which in essence creates a double curve. Ramps and stairs can do that, but I can't get floors cut out with voids to act in this manner.

Andre Carvalho
2007-12-19, 05:32 PM
I remember once I had to do that on a ramp and the solution I found was to work with 2 ramps, defining the left boundary line of the first ramp as half of the hole and the right boundary line of the second ramp the other half of the hole. It works and you still keep using real Revit ramps or stairs.

I just did it again on a stair to show you the results. See the attached .

Best regards,

Andre Carvalho