PDA

View Full Version : Detail view visibility

jhd
2007-12-12, 10:17 PM
I'm making a callout view from and 1/8" scale stair drawing and producing a more detailed view at 1/4" scale. Both views are in the medium level of visibility. In the 1/8" scale view I'm able to see stairs and stringers "beyond cut line", but when I'm in the 1/4" detail view the stairs and stringers "beyond cut line" don't appear. I've noticed that the view range settings are different inside a detail view, but I'm not sure how to set the upper extents to be able to view the elements beyond the cut line.

aaronrumple
2007-12-12, 11:09 PM
You'll need to recreate the view as a Floor Plan Calout. Detail callouts don't have the same rules applied to them as a floor plan does.

jhd
2007-12-13, 12:46 AM
I'm trying to avoid using the floor plan view for things other than my main overall plans. The thing that's good about the detail view is that it can be categorized in the tree easily. What other types of visibility limitations do the detail views have, other than the aforementioned stair hidden lines?

luigi
2007-12-13, 02:56 AM
There are quite a few limitations...basically, if you are going to use it as a small portion of a project (like a plan detail of a corner, or wall) and not an entire space...then it is ok...but the moment it is an enlarged floor plan view...then you will encounter limitations as you start making it ready for documentation....

For example....you cannot add a Room tag to a floor plan detail....that's what comes immediately in mind...but a while ago I told myself to never to enlarged plans using the detail view...although it is mighty nice to organize it in the Project browser....I remember I got burned a while ago when I set up tons of these views when I didn't need to document them too much...organized beautifully in the browser..then I began documenting them...or attempting, and realized the amount of limitations.....the thing that sucked the most is that I couldn't convert the view...I had to create a brand new callout then copy and past all the annotation objects for each view.......very frustrating....I don't wish anybody to experience that during a project

So if you are to use the "Detail" callout, or section (when it is detail, it is basically the same thing) it is more prudent to do so when one doesn't need to embellish the view, or when it is really a 1 1/2" type of a detail...small portion of a space...not an entire space.

I hope I made some sense....

Take care,

I'm trying to avoid using the floor plan view for things other than my main overall plans. The thing that's good about the detail view is that it can be categorized in the tree easily. What other types of visibility limitations do the detail views have, other than the aforementioned stair hidden lines?

dbaldacchino
2007-12-13, 05:14 AM
Don't default to Detail views just because you can organize them in the Project Browser....that's NOT the only way to organize it! Use a custom parameter for your views and you'll get tons of flexibility.

Take a look at this to see the differences between the two view types:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=57518&highlight=detail+callout

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-13, 06:31 AM
Further to David's comment about browser organization you can check out this thread.
Not the first time I've referenced this one.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35295

aaronrumple
2007-12-13, 03:09 PM
Further to David's comment about browser organization you can check out this thread.
Not the first time I've referenced this one.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=35295

I keep it much more down and dirty for browser organization. We just use a office standard naming system and avoid having an extra parameter to fill out.

A.LVL01 would be the architectural floor plan level 1.
I.LVL01 would be the interior flor plan level 1.
A.LVL01a and A.LVL01b would be matched plans (or now dependent views)
A.101 would be an enlarged plan of room 101
EP.101a would be an enlarged plan detail falling in room 101 - detail a.

At that point - the browser pretty well sorts itself with no additional parameters and you know at a glance what everything is and even where it is on the plan.

luigi
2007-12-13, 11:57 PM
Our office has a different policy that I was never satisfied with...... I like the aproach to organize the views by name as well....

I keep it much more down and dirty for browser organization. We just use a office standard naming system and avoid having an extra parameter to fill out.

A.LVL01 would be the architectural floor plan level 1.
I.LVL01 would be the interior flor plan level 1.
A.LVL01a and A.LVL01b would be matched plans (or now dependent views)
A.101 would be an enlarged plan of room 101
EP.101a would be an enlarged plan detail falling in room 101 - detail a.

At that point - the browser pretty well sorts itself with no additional parameters and you know at a glance what everything is and even where it is on the plan.