PDA

View Full Version : Footing display

barathd
2004-08-20, 05:35 PM
I have created a new wall family for my footings. How do I get it to display as a dashed line in foundation plan view?

Thanks in advance.

Dick Barath

sfaust
2004-08-20, 06:45 PM
You'll have to use the line work tool. It's been requested that footings be able to be set to automatically be dashed, but as of right now they can't be. Line work tool doesn't take too long, though.

barathd
2004-08-20, 07:31 PM
Steve:

Thanks for the info - your right it doesn't take too long.

Regards

Dick Barath

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-20, 08:04 PM
Another option is shown in the attached image. It involves overiding the PROJECTION line settings for walls in Visibility/Graphics and altering your view depth so it see's the foundation/footing below. The result is dashed lines for all the walls that are visible in projection as opposed to being "cut". Since a plan is really cutting the walls, but the foundation walls are below the cut plane...this means the walls below will be dashed.

barathd
2004-08-20, 08:08 PM
Steve Stafford:

I tried your method as well - seems one gets into trappings similar to ADT when you start to play with settings in this manner. I much prefer the linework change. Without over stating it - "I am amazed after five years of development such a basic tool" is still lacking.

Thanks

Dick Barath

Scott D Davis
2004-08-20, 08:17 PM
"I am amazed after five years of development such a basic tool" is still lacking.
Do you mean this tool is still lacking in ADT, or the fact that the projected foundation lines in Revit don't automatically show up dashed?

If the later, there is a bit of Revit history behind it. I think as far back as version 1 or 2 of Revit, items such as roof overhangs automatically showed up as dashed in plan. The functionality was removed, because most did not want the program making that kind of decision about the presentation graphics for the user. Instead, the development team gave us the line work tool, so we could decide what shows up where, and how it looks.

barathd
2004-08-20, 08:22 PM
Scott:

That makes perfect sense. But I can't see it being that difficult to provide a control to toggle it from solid to dashed or vise versa.

aaronrumple
2004-08-20, 08:23 PM
I use a slightly different approach. I create a duplice of the foundation plan. I then override the view so the foundation is dashed. Set the view to wirerframe - then I stack it on top of the floor plan. So it really is just the "automatic" you're talking about.

Where is that "Show foundation dashed" in ADT? Guess I missed that button.

Tom Weir
2004-08-20, 09:17 PM
Hi all,
The unfortunate part about the linework tool, is its impermanence. If you work on the object or one that intersects it, you will lose the hidden line, and have to redo it. Hopefully, this will be fixed in version 7. I have just had too many times in which I have had to redo the linework.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles