PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning walls locked to Grid lines

Henry D
2003-07-21, 08:28 PM
I have used grid lines to lay out a plan and locked the exterior face of the walls to the grid lines. So moving a grid line moves any wall locked to it.
So now I can dimension to grid lines and changing the dimension automatically moves the walls.

My question: How do I print the dimensions, but not the grid lines- if I turn off the grid line visibility the dimensions disappear.

Thanks again

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-21, 09:04 PM
If you hover over a grid and right click you can choose Hide annotation...etc. That will leave the dimension. But your extensions may be "hanging" out in space as a result...

You may want to dimension your walls instead?

aggockel50321
2003-07-21, 09:05 PM
Run another dimension(s) from outside face of wall to osf of wall, & just let the grid dimensions dissapear when you turn off the grid.

Henry D
2003-07-21, 09:14 PM
I was hoping those wouldn't be the answers. A redundant set of dimensions or individually hide each grid line - ugh! I think I'll just group together non-contiguous walls that should be aligned so they will stay aligned and forget the grid line thing.

aggockel50321
2003-07-21, 09:19 PM
Maybe go to settings/line styles and change the grid lines to a light gray to really screen them back.... and leave 'em on.

beegee
2003-07-21, 09:26 PM
I use gridlines with walls locked to them a lot. I've found its best to dimension to the wall faces , not the gridlines, that way you can have the grids on or off and not have a redundant set of dimensions.

Of course , changing grid locations is easier when you have a set of dimensions for those grids, so you may want that as well. If you find it easier to work with the grids, the builder probably will also, so you could think about keeping the grids visable in the CDs.

To turn off a full set of gridlines, rather than one at a time, you can put them in a workset, or associate them with a scope box.

beegee

Steve_Stafford
2003-07-22, 03:31 AM
I was thinking the workset and scope box options too.

Along the use the grid lines in the docs thought...I just set up something the other day that has no grid bubbles visible, just the line...not concerned about actually using grid bubble identity in any way, just an alignment/layout tool. I created a grid style that uses no bubble instead of turning them off. Work nicely.

You can force the grid line to a white instead of black line color, but you have to hide the bubble, the text and force the line...still not pretty.

sbrown
2003-07-22, 01:46 PM
I have tried this method of locking walls to grid lines and found it to be too rigid for my liking, I couldn't just move the wall when I wanted to, I had to use the grid, in previous versions of revit I had a lot of trouble with stacked walls, I don't seem to have that problem anymore so there is no need for the grid lines in my opinion. Note that if you want to align walls on top of each other it is best to align the center of core, for some reason face of core doesn't always work.