PDA

View Full Version : site linework

shenderson
2007-12-17, 04:37 PM
can property lines in the site toolbar and other lines be 'draped' on the model and viewed in 3d???

if not, then i've got another questions. i'm trying to put together some axon views of a site context model that i built. it shows several blocks around our site in a historic area with the buildings massed out for scale and context. we'd like to see all of the property lines and setback lines on the 3d model along with the allowable building heights. so that we can evaluate the site better. developing massing to show the allowable building volume on the site is no problem. any ideas about the linework????

on a side note - i'm assuming the best way to be able to re-grade our site without effecting the adjacent properties is to use the split surface rather than sub-region. is that correct?

abarrette
2007-12-17, 05:12 PM
Well... it isn't an elegant solution but it gives the display you are describing. If you build each property as it's own piece of topography (or build one piece of topography and split - My Recommendation) in Object Styles you can apply a line style matching your property lines to the topography category. With a givin thickness it should read tolerably well in 3D even with all of the topo edges visible.

The caviate to this is that the Linnestyle for topo while changing elevation does not display as well in plan this solution is primarily for a 3D representation. You would need to use either the Property line tool in plan and override the topography linework or use some other solution. From what I can tell there isn't a perfect solution. A good one for the wishlist. The ability to Drape lines, images, etc on topography could be very useful.

mrice.47661
2007-12-17, 06:14 PM
I don't think I can offer anything in terms of solutions, but I would like to echo the request for some good solutions. In trying to represent sitework on even moderately graded sites, there are very few good tools out there with which to create models.

I know there are several specialized civil engineering applications which can can drape lines, extrude/depress roadways, curbs, sidewalks, etc. - but they all require special imports/exports - not to mention the purchase of a separate application to do a fairly discreet task.

It would be phenomenal if Revit could get even some basic functionality in terms of topography draping and extruding. I know there is some fairly intense geometric manipulation involved with this sort of model manipulation - but isn't that supposed to be what Revit is great at dealing with?

If anyone has any successful approaches to dealing with these types of issues in Revit, it would be great to hear. I've ended up using some combinations of Sketchup, AutoDesk VIZ, and some third party programs in the past - but I don't currently have a recommended approach that produces good results for the master-plan scale projects, as well as the first-person perspective type projects, where you want an image in which you can perceive the height that a curb rises above a roadway.

shenderson
2007-12-17, 09:16 PM
THANKS!!!!!

shenderson
2007-12-17, 09:36 PM
hmm. if i override the topography line type then any split surface will get that line...does that mean showing roads and other site stuff should be with region?

abarrette
2007-12-17, 10:25 PM
Well... That's a possibility, but the Regions WILL drape over the surface and may not display the way you wish.

Having used the grading tools in Revit before I would possibly look at correcting the site to approximate the condition I wanted to show and THEN using sub regions to fix the display. That way there aren't so many surfaces conflicting with each other and I get the display I want... The tools aren't that friendly though if you aren't used to them.

Wish I had a better answer for you. HTH