PDA

View Full Version : Changing the End Style of a Line

michael.solger
2007-12-17, 05:20 PM
Is there a way to change the end style of a line? I'm trying to redraw a title block (the architect is not using Revit so I can't just use their's) and it has some floating lines (lines that do not connect to anything else or run into other lines) dividing the sections of the title block. On their AutoCAD drawings those linse are about an 1/8" thick and have squared off corners. On my Revit title block the lines are an 1/8" thick and have rounded off corners. I'd like to have nice, squared off corners to match the architect.

My AutoDesk re-seller / CAD support people have told me that there is no way of getting squared off corners in Revit. I've developed a work around by drawing thin rectangles where there are supposed to be thick lines and just filling them in but I feel that this is an absurd solution. I can't believe that I'm stuck with rounded ends to all my lines if I use Revit and if that is the case then I find it absolutely hysterical that we've come so far from just drawing buildings as lines and arcs that we can no longer draw lines properly with our drafting software.

I appreciate any insite you may have into drawing lines.

abarrette
2007-12-17, 06:07 PM
I hate to say but there is no solution to line ends at this point beyond what you've already found.

I look at line ends as a drafting convention. For something as thick as 1/8" I would have drafted a rectangle and filled it. I would not have considered it a 'Line'. In AutoCAD I could cheat, now I go back to my board drafting standard. Utilizing a Filled Region for this purpose should work reasonably well in lieu of a line.

There are certainly places where the line end issue needs to be addressed however. Lines of different thickness coming together that should not overlap but appear to because of the rounded end for instance. I understand your frustration that solutions seem to have been found in CAD and not been applied to Revit or been forgotten in Revit's development...

JONB.102117
2007-12-17, 10:39 PM
Consider a detail component too.
Make a filled region and control the thickness and length.

I understand the frustration with this one

JB

truevis
2007-12-18, 01:49 AM
Consider a detail component too.
Make a filled region and control the thickness and length.

Yes, and make it line-based.