PDA

View Full Version : Wall visibility from coarse to medium

jhd
2007-12-18, 03:23 AM
Is there a way where I can keep my visibility set to medium grain, but still see certain walls at coarse grain? For instance, I want to see all the hatches and other things that are built into the wall, but I really don't need to see all 4 layers of wall construction in an 1/8" scale plan.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-18, 04:45 AM
Walls can have a 'coarse scale fill pattern'. It is an all or nothing kind of thing so the whole wall will have the same pattern.
You set it as a type property for the wall.

SCShell
2007-12-18, 11:28 AM
Hey there,

Although Dimitri is absolutely, 100% correct (when is he not correct???!!!), you still do have some control over how your walls can look, no matter what detail level you have the view set to.

Simply use the graphic override feature in the view you want. While it won't get rid of the wall's cut patterns, you can apply a shading over it which will help change the look of the wall. (Attached is an example of a stock Revit wall, and a copy of that same wall above which I have split it into 3 sections, each with the visibility pattern override set do a different color. Even though you can still see the pattern underneath on the screen at large scales, It usually looks good printed and at smaller scales, such as 1/8".

This method works well for early design presentations, when you don't want to create a different wall type for every situation. (Special walls, or existing walls, etc) Please keep in mind that this is preferably for early presentation work, and probably not the best method for CD's due to loss of scheduling.

Good luck and hopefully this helps.
Steve

clog boy
2007-12-18, 12:50 PM
The graphic/visibility override also has a column to set what detail level certain categories should be displayed.
Apart from that, when you display a wall with coarse fill it's pretty much all or nothing indeed.
However, you can draw every wall layer as an individual wall type. It helps us to model more precise, and as a bonus we can make better schedules and one general drawing for all interior walls.