PDA

View Full Version : New Maya to DWG (to Revit!) plug-in

Scott D Davis
2007-12-18, 05:07 AM
Autodesk Labs has just today released a new plug in for Maya, which allows one to export from Maya to DWG. This DWG can then be used as a Massing study in Revit!

Many students use Maya for its extreme freeform modeling capabilities, but could not continue that design in Revit. Well, now you can!

Check it out HERE. (http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/maya_export_dwg/)

Also, there is a PDF document inside the ZIP download for the plug-in that discusses Maya and Revit together. In that document was this statement, which I thought really applied to any modeling tools when brought into Revit. Here it is:

Quick Tip: Don’t over‐model! The 3D tools inside of Maya invite us to model even the smallest detail. Keep in mind that surfaces created in Maya will provide the definition of form to which Revit Architecture will map real world building components and progress the design from conceptual design into design development, analysis, and documentation.

BillyGrey
2007-12-18, 05:31 AM
Thanks for the info Scott.

Hope your Holidays are progressing well ;)

Wink and a Nod,

Bill

aaronrumple
2007-12-18, 02:45 PM
Come on Scott, really impress me and tell me Maya exports directly to Revit....
;-)

Scott D Davis
2007-12-18, 05:23 PM
Come on Scott, really impress me and tell me Maya exports directly to Revit....
;-)

Not yet.....right now it exports to DWG. I, too, would love to see other programs writing the RVT/RFA file formats. Hopefully someday....