PDA

View Full Version : Wish to isolate Foundation & Footings

barathd
2004-08-20, 08:24 PM
Is it possible to isolate only my foundation and footing families? I am working on a sloping site and would be nice to see nothing but these items.

Thanks again.

Regards

Dick Barath

aaronrumple
2004-08-20, 08:26 PM
Worksets.......................

barathd
2004-08-20, 08:37 PM
Aaron:

Seems like an "awful big club" for a small manipulation. Guess the documentation is frightening me. Sounds complicated because I have never tried it.

Thanks

Dick Barath

Scott D Davis
2004-08-20, 09:07 PM
You can use the Hide/Isolate tool to temporarily isolate just the footings. Looks like a pair of sunglasses in the toolbar.

Isolate: will temporarily turn off everything except item selected
Hide: will hide items selected

You will probably need to Hide, since you need a few different catagories of objects on. It's going to tak a few clicks but you will get there.

Or you might want to make a copy of a view, and use the visibility settings to turn off everything but the site and footings/foundation. These settings will only affect this view, and you can always go back to it as a kind of 'working' view.

aaronrumple
2004-08-20, 09:13 PM
I have no idea why everyone things worksets are such a big deal. When I trained the first guy in our office - he had it down in about 10 min. They speed up so many tasks that I haven't done a project ever without them. I think most find phases more complex than worksets.

FK
2004-08-20, 09:21 PM
Uh, what's wrong with visibility/graphics and temp hide/isolate?

aaronrumple
2004-08-20, 09:38 PM
My interpretation was that he wanted to just see footings and foundations - which of course are walls and floors. If you don't want to see partions and non-foundation floors (say in a basement), the visibility settings won't work. You also might have two walls overlapping as in a wall/foundation brick ledge situation. I want the brick off - but foundation on. I can't just make a structural view - because both walls are structural. Just displaying the foundation workset does the trick. And of course isolate is just a temporary thing.

Parkinson
2004-08-21, 10:39 AM
Could you make a phase called "Foundation" before the "New Construction" Phase?
You could produce a view showing only the foundations by setting "Phase Created" in the foundation wall propoerties dialogue to "Foundation", having the phase of that view set as "New Construction" and the Phase filter set at "Show Previous Phase".
That way you could show this on a sheet as well as other views showing the whole building by setting the filter of these other views to "Show Previous + New".

David
2004-08-22, 11:25 PM
In addition to the use of phasing that Parkinson has suggested, you can also use a phase after the "new construction" phase. I recently modeled 2 roof framing layers, and a roofing-sheathing layer. I was stumped when I wanted to show a roof framing plan without the roofing-sheathing layer until I used phasing. I created a "struc view" phase after new construction and set the roofing-sheathing layer to demo in that view(show complete). Additionally, I created a top of foundation wall view (struc view phase) and set the upper display boundary so that only a few walls had to be demo-ed in stuc view. This works very smoothly and quickly.

Haden
2005-04-12, 03:17 PM
I want to be able to turn off the display of certain layers within a given wall type for my foundation plan view. For example, I have a wall which has a core layer which is concrete (structural, which I want shown on my foundation plan), a brick veneer on the outside with an air gap (but I only want to show the brick ledge below, without the brick layer), and furring (gypsum wallboard on metal studs on the interior, which I do NOT want to see on my foundation plan).

As it stands, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, and the reason I don't do this wall as 3 separate walls is because when inserting a door or window, it will not cut through multiple layers. Thus, my only option would be to start & stop the furring separately from the concrete wall with a door/window, and put the brick veneer on as a separate wall as well, which just doesn't work as well, and doesn't show properly with the heavy lineweights in between the two layers.

Does anyone see any other workaround, short of pasting a series of filled regions onto my foundation plan? (Very laborious!!!)

aggockel50321
2005-04-12, 03:32 PM
Haden,

Try this.

Create your foundation wall out of two layers of concrete. In wall properties, unlock the outer (brick shelf) layer, & drag or offset it down (via properties dialog) the depth of your brick shelf.

Then make up your upper brick wall, & onlock the bottom of the layer(s) you want to drag or offset down.

Then control visibility by phasing if you don't want to deal with worksets.

Here's (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=83550#post83550) a similar thread with a more detailed explanation

Allen Lacy
2005-04-12, 03:35 PM
As it stands, there doesn't seem to be a way to do this, and the reason I don't do this wall as 3 separate walls is because when inserting a door or window, it will not cut through multiple layers. Thus, my only option would be to start & stop the furring separately from the concrete wall with a door/window, and put the brick veneer on as a separate wall as well, which just doesn't work as well, and doesn't show properly with the heavy lineweights in between the two layers.

Does anyone see any other workaround, short of pasting a series of filled regions onto my foundation plan? (Very laborious!!!) You can use 3 separate walls and have the windows and doors cut them all. Use the join geometry tool and join all 3 walls together. I'm not sure that this is the best solution, but it will work.

Haden
2005-04-12, 04:22 PM
You can use 3 separate walls and have the windows and doors cut them all. Use the join geometry tool and join all 3 walls together.
Thanks! :idea: I don't know why I hadn't tried joining the geometry before I put the door/window in!!! :-D

Haden
2005-04-12, 04:26 PM
Create your foundation wall out of two layers of concrete. In wall properties, unlock the outer (brick shelf) layer, & drag or offset it down (via properties dialog) the depth of your brick shelf.

Then make up your upper brick wall, & onlock the bottom of the layer(s) you want to drag or offset down.

Then control visibility by phasing if you don't want to deal with worksets.

I have been using that method, but in the case where I have stone veneer on the basement walls and brick above with a setback, it's easier to have the stone on the basement level.

The other problem is that the 2 layers of concrete show with a line between them in section, and the linework tool will not remove this line -- I'm forced to paste on a filled region if I want to do away with this separation line, even though I used the same concrete material for both layers.:(

Scott Hopkins
2005-04-12, 04:48 PM
The other problem is that the 2 layers of concrete show with a line between them in section, and the linework tool will not remove this line -- I'm forced to paste on a filled region if I want to do away with this separation line, even though I used the same concrete material for both layers.:(
Use the "join geometry" tool to join the two walls and get rid of the offending line...8)

Matt Mercer
2006-01-27, 06:50 PM
I used the hide/isolate on my elevations to hide the foundation walls - It worked great but for some reason it still plots? any Idea what I'm doing wrong?

Matt

iru69
2006-01-27, 07:07 PM
I used the hide/isolate on my elevations to hide the foundation walls - It worked great but for some reason it still plots? any Idea what I'm doing wrong?
You're not doing anything wrong. It doesn't plot. This has been discussed many, many times before.

The Factory HAS to address the visibility control issues that are one of the weakest points of the software. I'm not sure if the Factory just doesn't get it, or they think it's a low priority, or what. Maybe R9?

Matt Mercer
2006-01-27, 07:11 PM
So let me get this straight - I can have it look good on my elevations but when I plot my sheets its going to unhide all my hidden items? What point is it to hide items then?

Matt

iru69
2006-01-27, 07:18 PM
So let me get this straight - I can have it look good on my elevations but when I plot my sheets its going to unhide all my hidden items? What point is it to hide items then?

Not only that, but the next time you open your file, the hide/isolate settings will be reset. They're temporary. The tool's purpose is to allow you to temporarily hide and isolate elements so that they're easier to manipulate. They're not intended to set up views for printing.

Matt Mercer
2006-01-27, 07:28 PM
Ouch!! Is there a way that I can accomplish hiding foundation wall and other things so I dont have to print them.

Thanks for all your help and knowledge.

Matt

iru69
2006-01-27, 07:33 PM
Ouch!! Is there a way that I can accomplish hiding foundation wall and other things so I dont have to print them.
I'm not trying to give you a hard time, but go back to the beginning of this thread - you're asking the same question it all started with, and Aarron's initial reply still has the best answer that I'm aware of: worksets.