PDA

View Full Version : Help with my multi-category schedule

sblackburn
2007-12-18, 01:44 PM
I posted a message awhile back about building a multi-category schedule, and have been working on that. I want to have one schedule showing both room finishes and their associated door info. I have posted a simple dwg. with the schedule I have built. Can anyone answer the following questions?

1. How do I get multiple doors in one room to show up? I would like, for instance, doors 102A and B to show up in the same area across from room 102. Obviously the two doors would be on separate lines, so there would need to be a taller row for room 102 to include info for both doors. And it would need to get taller as more doors are added to a room.
2. Is there any way to get subheadings below some of the major categories? It seems kind of limited in formatting of headings.

Thanks for any help!

Steve Blackburn
MPA Architects

aaronrumple
2007-12-18, 02:36 PM
What you want is outside the limits of Revit's schedules. You've getting into data sorting that would require a ODBC database. Then to get back into Revit would require some custom programing with the API.

sblackburn
2007-12-19, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the input - I thought that might be the case. Would there be a place on these forums where I could find someone to do this for a fee?

I am still a bit unclear also how these multi-category schedules are supposed to work. What's the point of being able to show rooms and doors on the same schedule (which Revit lets you do) without being able to associate the doors with the rooms? I have not even been able to figure out how to show all the rooms and all the doors (even without associating them to each other) without checking the "Itemize every instance" box. But checking this box shows multiple rooms of the same number if there are more than one door in that room. How are the multi-category schedules supposed to be handled in this case?

Steve Blackburn

aaronrumple
2007-12-19, 07:22 PM
Multi-category was designed for scheduling all the generic families. You might want furniture, furniture systems, and some types of generic families are on the same schedule.

It wasn’t design to group things by room as you have found.

You can get a nice door schedule room-by-room using just a door schedule. You can get a nice room-by-room schedule of furniture. But you can get a room finish/door/furniture schedule as you have found out. What you really want is nested schedules, which would be a cool feature.

The development costs of custom programming this are probably not going to be worth it. I'd guess $10 to $20K would need to be done.

You are probably better off working within the limits of Revit and changing how you put schedules together.

sblackburn
2007-12-20, 04:08 PM
Thanks for the help - half the solution is just figuring out what isn't possible (or affordable) with the software. We'll put it on the wish list.