PDA

View Full Version : Comprehensive site plan

Kirk Bricker
2007-12-18, 02:10 PM
We have a 16 acre site with tunnels and 6 buildings that we are going to start a comp plan study, building uses, future building area, and future parking garage. We have built as a Architect/GC 3 of the six buildings. We have 2 of the six buildings in Revit based off of TI work. We will need to draw all 6 buildings in Revit for a pretty fly by and renderings of future stuff. I am guessing that we just create the buildings just with exterior walls only, and if we need to see the 9th floor interior of a building it is just a 2d .dwg file or image of that floor that is imported into the comp plan.

Can I get some pointers on how to start this project?

Should we link in all 6 buildings into 1 file?

Should we break up the site into 4 quadrants and than link those 4 quadrants into 1 file.

How do materials work with linked buildings, is this a hassle?

What else should we look out for lurking around the corner that could bite us..lol

Kirk

abarrette
2007-12-18, 04:19 PM
Wow... sounds like an awesome project.

Standard methodology would lead me to create a single site file and 6 separate building model that are linked into the site file.

This gives you the ability to locate and anchor the site in the correct location and then place and orient your building as they relate to the site for Publishing shared Coordinates. This helps ensure layout integrity.

Materiality will transfer through the links for your fly-bys/renderings.

Splitting the site and the building apart should allow you to stack work getting multiple part of the project done at once (assuming you have the personnel). The site is likely to take the most work depending on the complexity of your buildings.

As far as things to keep an eye on.

File Size - Linking several models of even modest size can impact performance depending on hardware. Potentially turn off models you don't need in the site while you are working on it. You can use Building Pads to show the footprint impact of the building on the site as a point of reference.

Site Tools - While they are usable... they aren't the most user friendly. Expect some time getting used to them. once you've got a handle on them though they tend to do what you ask them to do. Particuar limitations include a lack of curb/gutters, and other plane change materials like curb cuts and things along those lines... the lack of multi-plane 3D sweeps also makes inplace families for curbs/gutters more difficult to work with.

Other then that... I don't know what else I'd be concerned about... Revit tends to be solid with campus projects as far as building relationships and layout. Site has been, and is likely to remain, a difficult set of tools to use.

sbrown
2007-12-18, 07:05 PM
Tip, if you have a part of the topo you need to do grading on, split it, group it, click link, this will make a sep. revit file you can grade, then reload and merge.