PDA

View Full Version : Stair - extend baluster feet to tread?

ws
2007-12-18, 05:17 PM
Would anyone know if it is possible within the railing editor (or other method) to make the balusters extend to the treads when no string is present, as in the attached spiral stair?

Andre Carvalho
2007-12-18, 05:46 PM
Well, if you are working with worksets, you could try to make the strings open to have the balusters matching the treads level and just put it into another workset (onte that's always off).

It should work.

Regards,

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2007-12-18, 05:50 PM
Ops, ignore what I've said...

Differently from stair railings, strings are part of the stair and can't be on a different workset...

Sorry about that.

But what about making them 100% transparent?

Andre Carvalho

Andre Carvalho
2007-12-18, 06:34 PM
Ok, better than this yet, is to edit the baluster family and get rid of the bottom void (the one that is defining the baluster to be cutted at the stringer level).

Then just lock the base of the baluster with the reference level and it definitelly will work. Just make sure your railing is inside the stair boundary.

See attached.

Andre Carvalho

ws
2007-12-18, 07:56 PM
Many thanks for your perseverance Andre :)

I will try what you suggest.

Also I have just looked this up in the new Mastering Revit 2008 book, and on page 386 it illustrates spiral stairs with two or one baluster per tread and no strings, and the balusters sit perfectly on the treads.

cheers :beer:

ws
2007-12-18, 08:30 PM
You gave me the vital clue in the last sentence Andre :)

It works with any baluster, you do not need to edit them (although that was an interesting exercise in itself, thanks)...

just as long as you select the handrail and then click the 'flip' arrows so that the handrail is within the stair boundary.

Then the balusters will sit on each tread.

thanks again 8)