PDA

View Full Version : Dividing a curve or object

gromit9007
2007-12-19, 12:20 PM
Hello,

how can I divide a curve or object into equally sized segments? I've tried to find a solution for days! It doesn't actually have to be a 'physical' devision. But it would be good to know a solution for both: dividing eg. a curve into equally sized segments, ie. creating vertices/curvepoints on it, or overlay the curve with some kind of helplines, a curved grid or something like that.

Thanks for your help!

tomnewsom
2007-12-19, 01:57 PM
Does this help? :)

For more complicated shapes, try (ab)using a railing object.

aaronrumple
2007-12-19, 02:25 PM
...you can also use a polar array of lines, ref. planes or objects. This will make the radial divisions somehwhat dynamic as you work with the design. You'll be able to add more elements or change the angle.

atbergma
2007-12-19, 02:30 PM
You could also radial array a detail line about the center of your curve. (Move to: Last) If you keep it grouped, you can change the number later if you'd like to play with the number of divisions. This assumes that your curve is an arc of a circle.

gromit9007
2007-12-19, 10:32 PM
Thanks alot that was already very helpful.

But what if I want to divide a series of curves, each with a different radius, into equally sized segments, eg, into arc lengths of 1000mm each? I tried it with railings, but don't know how to make a detail line or grid line snap to ballusters.

Steve_Stafford
2007-12-20, 12:53 AM
Sometimes the answer has a lot to do with "what" you are actually trying to "do". So...what are you trying to do, what needs this division? A curtain wall can do this by specifying a number of grids instead of fixed distance. Windows in arc wall segment can have dimensions applied to them and then you use the EQ toggle to make them equally spaced along the wall.

If it is a completely arbitrary exercise do you have AutoCAD? Just draw the arcs and use divide. Once you've worked out what you want then apply it to the component in Revit.

gromit9007
2007-12-20, 03:19 AM
I have a double s-shaped wall...it's three curves attached to each other. I tried to create a curtain wall on the curves which seems to help. But it's a bit odd that I have to create a curtain wall as a guide. I have to put standard windows in there, each equally placed along the wall. Snapping grid lines to curtain walls and then deleting the curtain wall seems to be a good workaround however. :)

Steve_Stafford
2007-12-20, 05:20 AM
The attached is probably an oversimplification of what you describe but it uses detail lines array'd along the arc walls to define where windows should go. If it were just one arc segment I'd just use a single dimension string to space them equally. I've attached a stripped down project.

wblaney
2007-12-20, 02:27 PM
Nice diagram, Steve... I noticed you left out the window where the two arcs meet. I'm relatively new to the software and haven't tried a situation like this yet, but what happens if you try to add a window at the point where the walls meet? Does Revit handle it correctly?

Will have to try it out in some free time.

Steve_Stafford
2007-12-20, 03:46 PM
Nice diagram, Steve... I noticed you left out the window where the two arcs meet. I'm relatively new to the software and haven't tried a situation like this yet, but what happens if you try to add a window at the point where the walls meet? Does Revit handle it correctly?

Will have to try it out in some free time....didn't try so I just did...graphically it has a hard time with the second arc, the one not picked as host. Because each arc changes direction a bit at the intersection the window doesn't display as cut very well.

gromit9007
2007-12-20, 05:29 PM
Thanks Steve, this is exactly the situation...well almost! :)

The arcs in your example all have the same radius. But in my project the second one has a much larger radius than the other two. The distance between the windows should however be the same.

gromit9007
2007-12-22, 07:10 PM
Here's a screenshot of an example. How can I spread the windows evenly on the whole wall? Also, how can I (as with linear dimensions and the pick entire walls option) base the equalisation on opening widths? And also: how can I put a window in between the wall segments?
Everything offered here so far are totally impractical solutions. :(

sccbrown
2007-12-22, 07:55 PM
Mark were you want the first and last window of each segment to end. then place one window, then use the polar array - last selection, then type SC for snap center and select the arc wall this will make the array from the center of you arc. now drag the window array to the last position, revit will equally space the windows between the first and last window.

aaronrumple
2007-12-28, 03:16 PM
Here's a screenshot of an example. How can I spread the windows evenly on the whole wall? Also, how can I (as with linear dimensions and the pick entire walls option) base the equalisation on opening widths? And also: how can I put a window in between the wall segments?
Everything offered here so far are totally impractical solutions. :(

First you need to decide where the EQ is going to be. Outter edge? Centerline? Inner Edge? They will all be a little different.

Then the best way to do this would be to dump this sketch out to AutoCAD. Use the measure or divide commands as needed to place a block at each point. Then import that to help you place the windows. You are not going to get a parameter in Revit that will automatically space your windows out over several curved walls.

Or you can do some calcs in Revit. Dimension the arcs using the arc length dimension tool. Add them up and do the math.

A window that is placed in one wall can be pulled over so it cuts two walls. That shouldn't be a problem.

Your biggest problem is going to be to get the contractor to build it right... ;-)