PDA

View Full Version : 2D Kitchen Families. Not for the easily dismayed :)

ljohans
2007-12-21, 10:47 PM
I have created a family for my kitchen layout (U-shaped Kitchen in this instance) that has within it nested families of all of my individual components: Cabinets, Range, Dishwasher, Refrigerator etc. All of my nested families were created as 2D families with symbolic lines (I have also tried this with model lines but come across the same issue). When I am working within the Kitchen family everything seems to be working fine. I will cut a section through my family and it will read correctly. But when I drop my kitchen family into a project and try to do a section cut through the middle of the kitchen the section will read all of the geometries. Even the information that is behind the cut line will be represented. Is there a way to fix this? Even though the nested families are all 2D shouldn't Revit recognize that within my new Family I have placed my nested families in different points in 3D space?

I have attached a few images below.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!!!

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-12-21, 11:00 PM
This seems to be an issue for a number of folks.
See this thread http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=67061&highlight=furniture
At this point it doesn't appear there is a solution just whatever workaround you can come up with. The example I posted would actually be easier with casework families, especially if there is no need for parametrics.
Good luck.

bbeck
2007-12-21, 11:18 PM
Use Invisible lines within your kitchen family to control the extents of the individual 2D components. What is happening is your cut plane in your project isn't physically cutting your 2D family nested within your kitchen family. We use invisible lines anchored to the floor and out 2D geometry to insure that the "cuts" truely cut the family. Does my quick explanation make sense ? Trying to get out of the office for the long weekend......

Use the invisible lines in the 2D family before nesting into the kitchen family.