PDA

View Full Version : I don't understand wall behavior

thomasf
2007-12-23, 06:56 PM
I have a residential project nearing the end of schematic design. It is a 2 story house with stone venner on the first floor and siding on the second. The original concept had the frame walls stacked and we had a stone watertable where the materials changed. Now the client wants the exterior finish materials flush, which means the 2nd floor stud walls cantilever 5 1/2" past the 1st floor studs. Everytime I attempt to move the 2nd floor walls out the 1st floor walls move with it. These walls are not joined or locked together in any way, yet they always want to move together. Why is that?

The only way I've been able to accomplish my task is to use the align tool in a section view. That means have to go around and cut sections through every area that is affected, open each section view and align the finishes. There has got to be an easier & faster way!

Any help is appreciated.

Henry D
2007-12-23, 08:22 PM
Did you try selecting the "disjoin" option after you selected the wall to move?
When you want to move a wall the options bar gives two choices "constrain" or "disjoin", when "disjoin" is selected the wall is freed from any relationship.

luigi
2007-12-24, 07:14 AM
When objects share some key points, Revit doesn't need a user to create a relationship...so when the 2 walls on top of each other (maybe sharing the center of the core, or interior face, want to seperate themselves, you will have to tell it you want it seperated.

Now you can move the wall by disjoining it, but depending on what you did with the wall, it would/should be discouraged (unless you are certain that you won't lose a created and wanted relationship (even annotation stuff like tags, etc.). A possible workaround is to temporarily group the walls below, and then offset/move the upper walls....

Another thing is that wouldn't the 2 walls be seperated in construction by the floor? Is that how you did it in Revit? I believe, can't test it right now, that if you have the 1st floor walls attached to the 2nd floor, and the 2nd floor walls starting from the second floor, that you will lose the inherit connection between the 2 walls, so offsetting the one from above shouldn't affect the one from below.

Anyways, the group workaround should work, but would think that if it gets built with the 2nd floor seperating the 2 walls, that it will behave as you wanted... Let me know if my assumption is wrong...

Take care,

I have a residential project nearing the end of schematic design. It is a 2 story house with stone venner on the first floor and siding on the second. The original concept had the frame walls stacked and we had a stone watertable where the materials changed. Now the client wants the exterior finish materials flush, which means the 2nd floor stud walls cantilever 5 1/2" past the 1st floor studs. Everytime I attempt to move the 2nd floor walls out the 1st floor walls move with it. These walls are not joined or locked together in any way, yet they always want to move together. Why is that?

The only way I've been able to accomplish my task is to use the align tool in a section view. That means have to go around and cut sections through every area that is affected, open each section view and align the finishes. There has got to be an easier & faster way!

Any help is appreciated.