PDA

View Full Version : Repathing Links

Takuwind
2007-12-25, 01:02 AM
I am repathing all the autocad files on our server. I also need to repath the Revit Links.

Is there a way to do this programatically? We have too many links to do this manually.

aaronrumple
2007-12-26, 12:21 PM
Are the Revit files moving too? If so, nothing needs to be done as Revit uses a relative path...

Also, the unfound AutoCAD files will still be visible in the Revit project. Just not updated.

Takuwind
2007-12-26, 10:06 PM
So all of the links were essentially lost. The dwgs are still there, but they do not reload. In AutoCAD lingo, they are now essentially blocks, not xrefs.

Any idea how to fix a large number of links? I really do not want to "Reload From..." every link.

Thanks...

Takuwind
2008-01-02, 05:45 PM
So nobody knows how to fix Revit Links?

sbrown
2008-01-02, 06:41 PM
they should have been relative path, then they would be found. If they were absolute, no there is nothing I know of except managing links.

Calvn_Swing
2008-01-02, 06:51 PM
Not to be a downer, but there isn't an easy way. You'll have to "reload from" manually, like it or not. (edit - unless as Scott said they are both moving similarly and relative pathing will work)

Revit wasn't really designed to be used in conjunction with AutoCAD. Since it was originally written by someone other than Autodesk, it just wasn't programed to interface that way with other drafting software. Autodesk added that functionality after buying Revit, but it has never been robust enough to have a lot of your work in CAD format in the Revit file. It causes crashes, mucks up the file and the database, etc... Some of these things could be fixed in later revisions, but that isn't the biggest problem in my opinion. When people use Revit they get used to the automation of certain tasks like coordination dimensions, notes, materials, etc... across views. As a result, when there is dumb information (CAD drawings, drafting views, text tags, etc...) they forget to manually check it because it is in Revit and they assume everything is coordinated. So, we try to minimize the dumb information whenever possible. We don't link in much of anything anymore. It just causes more problems than its worth. About all we have in CAD in our files is the Civil drawings. That's it. Everything else is native Revit.

Good luck!

Takuwind
2008-01-02, 08:42 PM
Not to be a downer, but there isn't an easy way.

Well, thanks for being such a downer! ;~)

Ok, well I am going to start looking at the API - maybe I can write a program to do this type of thing in the future.

Thanks...

Steve_Stafford
2008-01-04, 10:56 PM
...Revit wasn't really designed to be used in conjunction with AutoCAD. Since it was originally written by someone other than Autodesk, it just wasn't programed to interface that way with other drafting software. Autodesk added that functionality after buying Revit...Umm...are we rewriting history or do I just not remember it correctly? If I recall correctly export and import for dwg and dgn was always part of Revit. It was the new kid on the block and there had to be a way to harvest legacy details and refer to external data that couldn't be in Revit format yet. I certainly remember doing this before Autodesk bought RTC.

Scott D Davis
2008-01-04, 11:36 PM
No Steve, you are right. Revit has been able to Read/Write DWG, DGN, and DXF from the beginning since Revit 1.0 as Revit Technologies Corporation.

aaronrumple
2008-01-07, 12:09 AM
No Steve, you are right. Revit has been able to Read/Write DWG, DGN, and DXF from the beginning since Revit 1.0 as Revit Technologies Corporation.

...well - at least OpenDWG.

wmullett
2009-01-21, 06:04 PM
It appears that the relative path switch for linked Revit files does not work in 2008. All paths end up being hard pathed.

Was this fixed in 2009 release?