PDA

View Full Version : Parapet Walls

jknight.156590
2007-12-27, 08:16 PM
ok. i want to create a wall that has its exterior finish runing the length of the outside wall. the interior wall i want to have the interior finish that attaches to a roof, and then above that have a parapet wall with the exterior finish. how do i do this? any help?

aaronrumple
2007-12-27, 08:42 PM
A. Run the wall up to the parapet height with the roof on either side. Then add a finish wall to either side of the roof using with an edited profile.

B. Run the interior wall up to the top of the roof using an edit profile. Add a second exterior wall that attaches its bottom to the top of the roof.

Rhythmick
2007-12-27, 11:20 PM
You can create the parapet wall on top of the roof structure then use the wall base extension parameter to pull the exterior finish down to the wall below, then you can join. You will need to unlock the wall layers you want extended down, unlock them in the wall editor / preview / Section view, zoom in and select the layer to see the lock. Once unlocked the base extension parameter will be available in the wall properties. You can use this method to span rim joists between floors as well as many other applications.

aaronrumple
2007-12-28, 10:05 PM
You can create the parapet wall on top of the roof structure then use the wall base extension parameter to pull the exterior finish down to the wall below, then you can join. You will need to unlock the wall layers you want extended down, unlock them in the wall editor / preview / Section view, zoom in and select the layer to see the lock. Once unlocked the base extension parameter will be available in the wall properties. You can use this method to span rim joists between floors as well as many other applications.

...but only works for flat - not sloping walls.

SCShell
2007-12-31, 03:00 PM
Hey there,

I kinda like to do it the way you build it. I start with a full ht. exterior wall with all of the exterior layers built in, then I start adding all of the other interior faces (walls) as needed.

I add an interior "GWB only" wall up to the bottom of structure or finish ceiling, then add another wall above the roof decking for the interior side of the parapet. I also add wainscot walls and other similar types of wall coverings the same way.
(This is done very quickly by using the "pick wall" command, and by setting the wall's "Loc Line" to "Interior Finish". Just remember to "Join Geometry" for all of your individual walls as you go so that door and window openings form penetrations all of the way through.)

By doing individual walls, your sections will look better and you can use the model in your details, (which saves time later) and, as Aaron pointed out, this way will allow you to edit the profiles of the walls so that you can accommodate sloping roofs and other complex geometry.

My 2 cents.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!
Steve

patricks
2007-12-31, 03:34 PM
I would probably go about it one of two ways, neither of which I saw mentioned here:

1. If the roof structure bears on structure inside the wall's core layer (like steel joists on CMU walls with brick veneer), then I would have an exterior wall w/ interior finish running up to my bearing height level, and then a separate parapet wall with no interior finish layer running from my bearing height level up to parapet height, and then simply cut out the overlapping portion of the parapet wall with the roof using join geometry.

2. If the roof structure bears on structure separate from the wall (like separate steel structure inside exterior metal stud walls), then you could run a single wall up to the parapet height, have the roof sketch lines located on the interior core side of the exterior wall, and then join the wall to the roof. Since the edge of the roof is at the interior edge of the wall's core, then only the layers on the inside of the wall core should join to the roof.