PDA

View Full Version : How to make a wall cut a floor?

patricks
2007-12-28, 10:44 PM
Is there any way to make a wall cut a floor when joining geometry?

I have a pit down below a concrete slab, with concrete foundation walls coming up underneath the slab. They're both the same material and they look fine in section when joined.

However, I also have another floor element underneath my slab that I'm using as the gravel fill under the slab. I have a shaft opening cutting a hole through both the slab and the gravel, with my foundation pit walls coming up from underneath. Right now the foundation wall and gravel floor element are overlapping. When I try to join geometry, the gravel floor element always seems to override and cut out the overlapping portion of the foundation wall.

I need for the foundation wall to cut out a part of the gravel floor layer. How can I accomplish this?

*edit* I'm using shaft openings because I have several pits around my slab, and I wanted to control the openings through the floor slab and the gravel with a single sketch instead of having to do multiple sketched openings in both the floor slab and gravel elements.

aaronrumple
2007-12-29, 01:08 AM
Rock, paper, scissors...

Floor cuts wall.

Sort of. What happens is structure joins with structure. If the wall stuff was all structural and the floor was finish or substrate, then wall cut floor. However that would screw up otherthings. so a hole is the way to go.

patricks
2007-12-31, 03:02 PM
Alright so I changed the core layer of my gravel floor to Substrate, and the core layer of my concrete walls remains as Structure. I selected the wall first and joined it to the gravel floor, and the wall cuts the gravel as it should in section, but in elevation it looks like the floor is still cutting the wall!

When I mouse over the floor in section, it pre-highlights, and I can see a line on the face of the wall also pre-highlighting. See the attached image.

I don't understand why it acts this way.

mmodernc
2008-01-02, 12:51 PM
Have done this insection with wall cutting through paving slab. Can you post file of above? or bit that matters?