PDA

View Full Version : locating tub correctly

thomasf
2007-12-31, 01:14 PM
In residential construction the bath tub goes in before the drywall, the dry wall sits on a lip along the edges of the tub. However, once I insert my tub it always "snaps" to the face of the finsih wall and I can not move it to the face of core. How do y'all work around this?

Should I not have a gyp bd on that side of the wall and add it latter or can I unlcok the finish, do a section through my tub and move it up? Will that allow me to move the tub over?

thanks,

tom

patricks
2007-12-31, 02:43 PM
I would probably just edit the family so that the tub is just a non-hosted generic model (or perhaps floor hosted if anything), with the center reference point located at one corner of the tub. Then when you place it in the model, you can locate it directly on the face of studs.

But in reality, it's probably not going to matter that much in your construction drawings if it's located on the face of gyp. board or the face of studs. It's still going to get built the same way. I guess it just depends on whether you want to take the time to make the model "exactly" right.

ed.76566
2008-01-03, 05:04 AM
Being a contractor myself I would edit the wall family, and modify the wall assembly.
Pick on the preview button; change the preview to a wall section.
Highlight the interior wall finish material layer in the Layers box, and then the left preview window should show red.
Pick in the preview box, zoom in on the base of the red highlight wall finish, select the modify button, then put your mouse over the baseline of the drywall and pick it, a lock will appear and unlock it. Select ok
Now go back to your model and pick one of the walls, you will now have two grip arrows at the base, this will allow you to grab just the bottom of the drywall and drag it up to match the top of the tub, or cut a section and align it to the top of the tub.

Ed

Fred Blome
2008-01-03, 06:23 PM
Being a contractor myself I would edit the wall family, and modify the wall assembly.
Pick on the preview button; change the preview to a wall section...clip

Ed

I think that's a crazy amount of time spent with minimum or no benefit. I would modify the tub family too, only that I would change the dimensions to the correct face of finish relationship. A typical 5 foot tub requires a 5 foot rough opening and with 1/2" sheet rock, the model tub would be 4-11. or 4-10 3/4 with 5/8" rock. I typically add tile later as a separate wall, so if it really mattered, you could adjust the tile to sit on the tub.

On the other hand, I've using the standard supplied tub even though it is too long when it snaps to the wall. I just tweek it over notch so it looks centered and move on. The walls hide the discrepancy. My thinking is the "drafter" needs to know what the rough opening should be and not rely on the family to tell him, in this case.

Justin Marchiel
2008-01-03, 06:30 PM
this is a good case of just because you can model it, doesn't mean you should.

Justin

ed.76566
2008-01-04, 01:41 AM
That’s the good thing about these forums, there are many ways to do modeling and we should share the many options available. I have done a considerable amount of residential and commercial fabrication for field construction in Revit and AutoCAD, and have found that if I don't have time to make it right I don't have time to do it over.

Ed