PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Structural Display

beegee
2003-07-22, 04:18 AM
If, like me, you want your structural members to show < properly > as model elements in coarse view ( rather than heavy graphic lines ), just edit the family visability so that the model shows in all views and the model lines do not.
( I often want coarse view for sketch design stage - as then I can get walls, floors and roofs with a half tone fill. Used to drive me crazy that the beams and columns would show as heavy single lines, missing the supports. )
This is probably too simple and obvious to be a real tip or trick, but I'm agona post it anyhow. :roll:

beegee

gregcashen
2003-07-22, 05:35 AM
This works unless you are actually producing structural framing drawings (i.e. for steel framing mostly) which are usually line drawings of the members and are detailed only in the...details [derrrr].

This is one of my gripes with Revit's structural tools is that if you are going to produce these as structural line drawings, you would want to have a parametric method of including connection types that would show in elevations and plans and also would be schedulable [word?]

For architects, what you are saying is sound, but for structural guys, this whole area needs to be beefed up a bit.

beegee
2003-07-22, 06:02 AM
Yes, you're right Greg, I should have said that I was speaking from the architects viewpoint.

Maybe the different requirements of each discipline could be handled by different templates ? I must admit, I've never looked closely at all those templates to see what each one does differently. The one for architects could be made to show the structural components the way I outlined and the one for engineers, the way you want it. Should'nt be that difficult ?? That way, the database remains intact allowing the structural guys to show line drawings and connection details and schedules.

Are we onto something here, or is this another one of my " awards for the bleedin obvious " :oops:

beegee

gregcashen
2003-07-22, 06:22 AM
Nah...I think you're on to something that should have been bleedin' obvious. My impression based on conversations with Revit folk is that a lot of these structural issues will be coming to a resolution of sorts in the next release.

I hate these threads that seem to make the divide between engineers and architects wider than they are or should be. I personally have a great respect for architects, would like to be one someday as well as an engineer and admire the depth of thought and creativity that it takes to be good at it. Then something like this comes along and makes it seem like we all are so different. I mean, I'm just a man...with thoughts...and feelings...just like any other man.

Okay. I'm back. That was weird.

Seriously, I don't think this display thing is that big of an issue as it is right now. There are bigger concerns, and I am willing to deal with this one and let the architects have their way if I could only get a reliable and easy to use set of welding annotations, connection families, residential framing components (e.g. shearwalls that are schedulable with holdowns, nailing, etc and show in multiple views...)... Is that so much to ask?

beegee
2003-07-22, 06:47 AM
Nah, definitely not much to ask.

I agree about the divide - that should'nt be , between the professions too.

Hey, I also dig the Shakespeare personna ( Merchant of Venice - paraphrased .. right ? :lol: ) Maybe it was straight Fiddler on the Roof though .. hmmm.

I might just start a Shakespeare thread in " Out There" when I get time. :shock:

beegee