PDA

View Full Version : Annotative Text Style

rmk
2008-01-03, 09:41 PM
I am trying to get a better handle on annotative text. Would there be a problem with creating one annotative text style for each font i wanted to use with a paper space height of 0. You would use textsize to change the height as needed for various text heights. Or would it be better to create multiple text styles for each required height (and/or font).
Thanks

CADDmanVA
2008-01-03, 11:56 PM
Unfortunately, ambiguity is the standard here... In my office, we have only two text styles for general annotation use, Body and Title. The former is set to plot at 3/32" in Swiss font style, while the later is 1/4" in Times New Roman. You can use DDCHPROP to easily change the height for the occasional odd-ball easily enough, and that's how we handle that.

guitarchitect7
2008-01-11, 04:41 PM
I am trying to get a better handle on annotative text. Would there be a problem with creating one annotative text style for each font i wanted to use with a paper space height of 0. You would use textsize to change the height as needed for various text heights. Or would it be better to create multiple text styles for each required height (and/or font).
Thanks

The other problem I see here is that you can't have a papter text height of '0'. To be annotative, you need a specific text height.

CADDmanVA
2008-01-11, 05:16 PM
The other problem I see here is that you can't have a papter text height of '0'. To be annotative, you need a specific text height.

Why is that a problem? Every office I have ever been in has a standard text height with very little (if any) variation or flexibility with it. You can change the height of the text after you create it though.

guitarchitect7
2008-01-12, 04:28 AM
Why is that a problem? Every office I have ever been in has a standard text height with very little (if any) variation or flexibility with it. You can change the height of the text after you create it though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can a height be annotative if its 0. You take any number times 0 to increase the size and its 0. You need a defined height to allow the annotative scale to adjust properly.

CADDmanVA
2008-01-12, 04:50 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but how can a height be annotative if its 0. You take any number times 0 to increase the size and its 0. You need a defined height to allow the annotative scale to adjust properly.

Right. That's what I said above. My point is that every office I have ever dealt with, has a required text height. For example, in my current office, normal text for annotation use is 3/32", while title text is 1/4". I have two text styles set up, body (3/32") and title (1/4"). I let Annotative Scale handle the rest.

guitarchitect7
2008-01-12, 08:01 PM
Right. That's what I said above. My point is that every office I have ever dealt with, has a required text height. For example, in my current office, normal text for annotation use is 3/32", while title text is 1/4". I have two text styles set up, body (3/32") and title (1/4"). I let Annotative Scale handle the rest.

Completely agree. I must have misunderstood you. Long week, excuse the idiocy!

That is the exact standard I put in place for our company as well. I have really grown to liking this annotative thing. Washed out the lisp routines I created 2 months prior to installing 2008, but hey it's a benefical tool.

CADDmanVA
2008-01-12, 10:03 PM
I think this was a rough week for everyone, so I wouldn't worry much about it. Funny thing about progress though...it always seems to trash whatever you did the week prior (such as your LISP routines). Such is life I guess :mrgreen:

rmk
2008-01-14, 03:08 PM
I created a new text style named "style1", checked the annotative property and put 0 in the paper space text height. then made it current. when you start the multiline text command, the text height becomes whatever the default (or current) value of the textsize variable. i don't think the textsize variable can be 0. With this method you would only need one style for each font you used and change text height by changing the current textsize variable before starting the text command. Any thoughts or comments?
thanks Robert

CADDmanVA
2008-01-14, 05:30 PM
I created a new text style named "style1", checked the annotative property and put 0 in the paper space text height. then made it current. when you start the multiline text command, the text height becomes whatever the default (or current) value of the textsize variable. i don't think the textsize variable can be 0. With this method you would only need one style for each font you used and change text height by changing the current textsize variable before starting the text command. Any thoughts or comments?
thanks Robert

That would work great if we didn't have a Standard dictating text size. That is the main reason we have two styles in this office.