PDA

View Full Version : Filtering Levels in Door Schedules with Linked files

jnocella
2008-01-04, 01:18 PM
So, I create a regular door schedule, and I can obviously filter the schedule by Level. Once I check the "use linked file" checkbox in the schedule settings to bring in doors from my linked file, I can no longer filter by level. I know a workaround would be to create custom parameters, but this process worries me as you'd never be totally sure if you tagged all 750 door with the right parameters. is this a bug?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-05, 07:35 AM
Not sure if it's a bug since this seems to be common behavior (only tried it with a furniture schedule but it didn't work there either)
Other than the potential for confusion if levels are named the same in the host and the linked file I can't think why this would be the intended behaviour.
As a workaround you might want to filter by door number. This assumes that your door numbers will have some relationship to level e.g. 101, 201, 301 etc.

jj mac
2010-11-12, 09:30 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for posting this. Can anyone confirm if this has been resolved or not yet?

robert.manna
2010-11-13, 04:53 PM
There is no resolution as there is still no way for Revit to actually know two levels are the same. CM tools only set-up a geometrical relationship between two things. For schedule by Level to work across links Revit would need a way to know that First Floor in model A is really the same exact thing as First Floor in model B.

jj mac
2010-11-15, 01:48 PM
What I find surprising about this is that the levels are copy/monitored, which means not only are they the same name, but the levels in one file were created from the levels in the other file. It's unfortunate it is what it is, but some of the work arounds suggested earlier will allow us to achieve what need at the end of the day. We decided to use the 'mark parameter' to filter the schedules. The mark parameter reflects the level the door is placed on anyway. This also forces us to ensure our naming convention is maintained for all of the doors in the project. Not such a BAD thing.

Thanks for the reply, Robert.

robert.manna
2010-11-15, 01:52 PM
I prefer the mark method too, though I do understand that sometimes door numbers don't relate to the level their on.

As to copy/monitor, it is nothing more then a glorified Copy/Paster operation that monitors on piece of "geometry" for its location relative to another. There is no true intelligence between the two elements, no assignment of GUID's or recognition that one GUID is equal to another, hence it doesn't work when you want to do something based on "information".

Cheers,
-R