PDA

View Full Version : When do you use a ceiling

Andre Baros
2004-08-23, 05:05 PM
I have a simple "floor" structure, from top to bottom, consisting of a topping, decking, trusses, RC channels and plaster ceiling. Do I need to take the "ceiling" out of the "floor" in order to add lights, soffits, grills, etc. or will I be just fine keeping the ceiling as part of the floor. I just don't want to get too far ahead and then get stuck, but it seams extraneous to add a ceiling in this case.

Thanks,

Scott D Davis
2004-08-23, 05:13 PM
If you open the ceiling-based lighting families, and saveas and change them to floor based, then you will be fine. Otherwise, you will need to add ceilings to host ceiling-based lighting.

sbrown
2004-08-23, 05:13 PM
Yes, you will need to take at least the finish layer off and make a ceiling out of it. you also won't be able to tag your ceiling plans unless you do this. But a good request would be to have "floor/ceiling assemblies" instead of just sep floors and ceilings. you could set it up all as one and indicate somehow(like core boundary) where it changed from floor to ceiling.

This would really be useful in fire rated buildings where you have to indicate all the floor/roof / ceiling assemblies and their ratings.

Andre Baros
2004-08-23, 06:14 PM
I was afraid of that, thanks.