PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with Design Options and hosted objects

mmiles
2008-01-09, 05:10 PM
Hi all,

my client asked for design changes to a project that is currently being bid. It is a workshared project. I thought I could accomodate the studies for these new changes as design options but I am having trouble getting main model components into my design options. Essentially, I am trying to show different bedroom and hallway layouts in a wing of a house (on the 2nd floor). I want to select portions of exteriors walls and most interior walls to place into each of my options (keeping one as the bid package; orignal) and then begin work from there.

But, whenever I select the walls and their inserts, I get errors related to sweeps (base and crown moldings) that are integrated into the wall assemblies. I have no option but to cancel. Additionally, the errors seem to be referencing walls that are not even part of my selection set.

What gives? Any thoughts?

Assuming this is a whacky, messy, gummed together jumbled ball of string of a project with errors not worth trying to untangle, how can I make copies of the file without affected the workshared aspect of it? Will a save-as make it a single, non-work shared file?

the bump on my forehead is growing....thanks for any input.

Matt Brennan
2008-01-09, 05:50 PM
I find when you try to incorporate exterior walls within your design options, as you have encountered, it becomes fairly tricky.

After a design option is setup, you can always add the exterior wall by selecting everything that relates to it; ie. associated walls, windows, sweeps/reveals, etc. Like you said, if you don’t select everything that is associated to it, it can become very tedious.

You may also want to do a "Save-as" if you design is radically going to change. You can always copy and paste back and forth between to the two designs.

I hope this helps. Anyone else have any other suggestions?

mmiles
2008-01-09, 06:20 PM
Mr. Brennon,

Thanks. I ran into the associated objects (i.e. wall sweeps) in another wing of this house, but after a few attempts the error did not occur. But this other wing is just not cooperating. I attempted to split the exterior wall so that I could pull it out to another plane and that is giving me similar errors.

I think I cannot wait to solve the puzzle (as I suspect there are other modeling problems) and will opt for the save-as option. Still, any other input from others would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Brennan
2008-01-09, 06:28 PM
Yeah it's one of those things where it is hard to tell with out seeing the model in person. But with the save copy option, with your levels already set up it makes it very easy to copy/paste from each model.

But Good Luck with it!

aggockel50321
2008-01-09, 06:31 PM
Try this:

Select the offending wall, then cut it from the model, and paste it back in using the "paste aligned / same place" option.

Then try placing it into the option.