PDA

View Full Version : Soffits?

NHURLEY
2008-01-09, 09:01 PM
How is everyone handling the vertical face of soffits and getting them to read correctly in sections/elevations?

We have tried placing a wall that starts at the height of the soffit and runs to just above the ceiling but this has caused problems with the clean up of walls below (frustrating for others not familiar with the job) and it still involve considerable clean up in sections and tracking changes through the project.

I've attempted creating a hosted wall sweep that shows the entire soffit horizontally and vertically and this looks great in the reflected ceiling plan after you make the miter invisible. It also looks great in section and is easy to creat multiple size soffits. However if the wall continues past the room the soffit goes with it and pulling back the sweep back looks bad. Splitting the wall is an option but we try to avoid splitting walls as much as possible.

Creating a Mass that is an extruded sweep has worked the best. Hower this is no where near as fast as the hosted sweep. The other problem we will run into with the extruded sweep is that many in our company that will be using Revit would probably find this method frustrating or impossible. On smaller one drafter jobs I can see us going this route.

The last option would be to use the out of the box ceiling tools and just draw in the vertical face and construction as needed.

My firm has just recently started using Revit and any feedback you could give would be great. Thanks.

peterjegan
2008-01-09, 09:24 PM
Here is an excerpt from our help system on dropped soffits.

aaronrumple
2008-01-09, 09:37 PM
You don't have to do a bunch of that.
You don't have to pull the gyp down over the soffit.

Draw the soffit walls. They should be flush with the bottom of the soffit.
Simply use a pick wall with the right offset (Extend Iinto Core) to draw the soffit (ceiling). Or sketch to the back side of the gyp. bd. This will automatically overlap the two objects properly. When complete - use join geometry to clean then all up.

Look at this thread for some tips and the magic behind it all...
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=63619&highlight=soffit

tam
2008-11-06, 05:49 PM
I tried this method before and it worked like a charm. I need to do it again for 2 HR horizontal shaft enclosures and it's not working. I'm wondering if it's because of the multi-layer gyp wall construction. I have attached jpegs of the model... I suppose I could get rid of the extra line with the linework tool, but I'd rather not!

aaronrumple
2008-11-07, 05:52 PM
I suppose I could get rid of the extra line with the linework tool, but I'd rather not!

Using the tips in the link I posted above will eliminate the linework issue automatically....

tam
2008-11-07, 06:03 PM
Unfortunately it doesn't. Thanks for the tip anyway!

twiceroadsfool
2008-11-07, 06:41 PM
Tam- Go through it again. The solutions posted in that thread work great...

tam
2008-11-07, 06:47 PM
Yes. I have done the process before with standard walls with one layer of gyp on one side and a standard gyp ceiling. That worked perfectly. I repeated the same process multiple times for these rated walls and ceilings, but it doesn't seem to work this time.

sbrown
2008-11-07, 08:22 PM
The materials have to be the same and the gyp has to be on the exterior face of the wall not interior, I don't know why thats just how it works.

aaronrumple
2008-11-07, 08:43 PM
Yes. I have done the process before with standard walls with one layer of gyp on one side and a standard gyp ceiling. That worked perfectly. I repeated the same process multiple times for these rated walls and ceilings, but it doesn't seem to work this time.

Works perfectly for me.

RobG
2008-12-01, 07:39 PM
of curiosity, what are people doing when the ceiling is a sloped one?
The joining of a sloped ceiling in this case has never been overly nice.