PDA

View Full Version : Adding text to a dimension

mjohns18
2008-01-11, 04:25 PM
Can you add text to a dimension or within the dimension text box delete the dimension all together and add your own text?

Thank you

dgreen.49364
2008-01-11, 04:58 PM
If you go to the dimension's properties you can add suffix or prefix text. That's it. Cannot "cheat" the dimension like we could with Autocad.

mjohns18
2008-01-11, 05:14 PM
Thank you, I thought that was the case. Sometimes I like to have a dimension string with just text and the only way I've been able to accomplish that is to type over my dimension with an opaque text box.

thanks again

patricks
2008-01-11, 05:57 PM
This has been on the wish list for some time I think, but to me the only reason it should be used is if you have a drafting view with break lines, and the actual dimension in the view is not what the dimension will be in real life (since we can't break and condense a drafting view like we can with other model-based views).

Otherwise what we do is have a dimension type with text size set to 1/256". Even if you did not add any text, the dimension text would only print as a tiny dot, so then you're free to put whatever you want there.

It can be a somewhat tedious process, but to me that discourages people from cheating dimensions all the time, all over the drawings.

barathd
2008-01-11, 11:20 PM
How I work around this is to use the "leader" command - I then add leaders to each end and edit text. Works fine - yes leader is interrupted by text - no big deal for me.

rjcrowther
2008-01-12, 02:34 AM
You could perhaps make a line based family and nest an annotation in it.

If you centre the anotation within the family it will appear in the middle of the 'dimension'.

The only trick to this I am aware of is to put an invisible line in the annotation family so you have something to get to align to the centre of the line in the line based family.

I use something similar to this to create dimension text ....I like it centred and below the line ( just like autocad has it). It isn't part of the dimension but it is a way to get the dimension text to be consistent.