PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to setup room area tag to be display as dimensions eg. 3m x 5m???

Richard McCarthy
2008-01-14, 01:49 AM
Hi,
I am just wondering if there is a way to setup room area tag to be display as dimensions parametrically??

eg. 3m x 5m

I have search high and low on this but doesn't seem to let me do it.
Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

dbaldacchino
2008-01-14, 02:42 AM
Unfortunately you cannot. How is the room going to know if it is is square/rectangular, round, elliptical, or any other permutation of a polygon?

barathd
2008-01-14, 03:24 AM
I conversed with an Avatech programmer about this and he said he saw absolutely no problem in programing this in Revit. Don't know what the big deal is with Autodesk. If they don't want to dirty their hands - give us the reporting tools. Draw back with Avatech's proposal was that the routine would have to be updated each and every release.

Regards

Dick Barath

dbaldacchino
2008-01-14, 04:03 AM
How would you report the length and width of a triangular room? Or an ellipse? Would you figure out what bouding box size is required to encompass the space? Still, it's not like the result can be multiplied to obtain the area. I personally don't see much value in this.

barathd
2008-01-14, 04:17 AM
Pick points.

Richard McCarthy
2008-01-14, 04:44 AM
I guess this is quite complicated problem, and probably requires some fuzzy logic. Generally, I just want the room (usually rectangular) to be able to report it as width and depth. Perhaps there is a way for Revit to just reference a particular dimension as a tag and parse that into the room tag itself? If it can do that, even triangular shaped rooms, spherical rooms can be done if the user just setup a particular dimension and Revit can automatically parse that info to the tag that user want it to be keep track of.

dbaldacchino
2008-01-14, 04:47 AM
Unfortunately tags cannot have calculated parameters in them, so you can't do what you're after. The closest you're going to get is to create a schedule with a calculated value. You would then input the width or height of the room manually and the calculated value would be the area of the room divided by the value you type in or each space.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-14, 05:29 AM
Check out this thread. I don't believe anything has changed since these comments were posted.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=51960&highlight=room+width+tag

tomnewsom
2008-01-14, 10:36 AM
Draw dimensions

SCShell
2008-01-14, 02:40 PM
Just type it in below the room name.
Steve

DaveP
2008-01-14, 04:03 PM
One of the factory's philosophies is that you should be able to trust anything that Revit generates automatically. That's why you can only dimension to real things - like Wall faces - and you can't see a Grid in Elevation unless you are perpendicular to it.
For the same reason, I don't think we'll be seeing a tool to report Length x Width. It's just not a reliable number.
See this thread about totals in schedules to see what kind of a can of worms they'd be opening:
http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=70539&highlight=schedlue+totals+rounding
I can just imagine a future thread about how Autodesk is all screwed up because they are reporting the "wrong" Length of an L-shaped room.