PDA

View Full Version : topography cut/fill reporting issues...

ben.115043
2008-01-14, 07:41 PM
I have a question regarding how Revit determines the "zero" topography when creating a cut/fill schedule. I have always assumed that it uses the earliest phase to determine this but this does not appear to be the case.

Midway through a project we received new survey information on the project. I attempted to implement this survey by creating a toposurface in a new phase i created before everything else. The Revit help file implied that this would work as long as the first (existing) toposurface was larger than all of the subsequent ones.

This is not what resulted, however. In a grading schedule, the "existing" toposurface has cut and fill quantities recorded for it! It is the only surface in its phase and was created independently in a phase before everything else.

Do I have any options other than deleting all of the topography in the entire project and starting over from scratch?

Thanks

Ben Regnier

patricks
2008-01-14, 07:52 PM
Have you already completed the grading for your new toposurface? Will any of your new grading change as a result of the updated survey?

If it won't change, then I would just blow away the existing topography from any old surveys, and then create new "existing" topography from your latest survey. Hopefully that would work out for you.

If you only have "existing" and "new construction" phases, and not multiple new construction building phases, then you should only have 2 toposurfaces - 1 that is existing, and then 1 that you modify for your grading plan.

Calvn_Swing
2008-01-14, 07:55 PM
It sounds like he did that already, but the problem is that Revit is reading the new surface he added in the first phase as not being the oldest version of the site. You might check your steps again to make sure though. Sometimes I miss a button here or there, and it can really mess things up...

patricks
2008-01-14, 09:29 PM
If the old surface is set to Created in Existing and Demolished in New Construction, and then the new graded surface is set to Created in New Construction and Demolished as None, then it should report cut/fill correctly. It shouldn't matter in what order these things were actually created.

Should being the key word here.

Now I know that when you create an existing topo from a survey, set it to Existing, and then start to grade it, Revit automatically changes the existing topo to be demolished in New Construction, and creates a new surface in new construction. I'm not sure how that affects things.

brockdesmit.155588
2010-11-09, 07:01 PM
I have the same issue. After creating a toposurface from my survey, I edited the existing toposurface in the existing phase. My schedule is reporting these changes as cut/fill even though the site is phased as existing/not to be demolished. Is there anyway to "reset" the topo to calculate zero for all values?
Thanks.