PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Vault

rkulczynski1882
2004-08-24, 07:00 PM
I used roof by extrusion to create an arched roof and now I would like to slop it. Does anyone know how do I go about doing that? I thought that it would be as easy as just using a slope arrow, but if you create a roof by extrusion that is not one of the options when editing the roof. Please help.

Allen Lacy
2004-08-24, 07:46 PM
You might need to create the roof by using an in-place family. Make sure you create it as a roof family to get the benefit of its parameters. I would use a sweep family.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-25, 05:22 AM
Raf and Katrina,

Attached is a sample project to examine. Before you do anything, get acquainted with changing/picking a workplane with Revit. You'll need to use this liberally.

The roof on the right is an in-place family using the roofs category. It is extruded using a reference plane set at an angle as the work plane. You'll see the reference plane in an East or West elevation view. It has to be named for Revit to use it. This approach is easy because you just sketch the profile and then tell it how long to be. Easier still because you can stretch the grips to get it long enough. You might need to use a second void to trim the roof along one or all the sides, the example does.

Roof two on the left is a regular roof using the walls to define it. What's different is that it is as thick as the barrel is overall and only one line defines the slope. Then I used an in-place family void again using the roofs category. This void cuts away the extra roof leaving only the form wanted. I used the fascia of the roof to define the work plane instead of a reference plane.

You might say why go to the extra effort...well mostly because doing it this way will stay constrained to a level and if the level changes the roof and the void go with it. The other roof stays put and you have to "fix" it. Also depending on how much larger the void is than necessary your walls can move and the roof will flex too. Your mileage may vary...

Either roof method can have walls attached to it after finishing them. Make sure you don't bother to attach the walls before you create the voids and cut the roof, you'll get an error regarding attachments that may or may not let you finish.

To examine either, you'll need to tab to select the in-place family and then click edit, select the void then click edit again to see the profile. Probably easiest to browse it all from a 3d view. I used the View>Orient>By Plane option exclusively from a 3D view to build these.

HTH

Wes Macaulay
2004-08-25, 02:49 PM
That's brilliant Steve - gr8 post!

Allen Lacy
2004-08-25, 03:07 PM
I'll add my model to the mix. I created a reference plane called center to work from on the east or west elevation. The roof is an in-place roof family using a sweep. Working from east or west elevation, I drew a sloped path along the center ref plane., then created the profile of the vaulted roof from the south elevation.

Using this method will not constrain the roof to a level like Steve's, but you don't need voids to control the slope, overhang or curvature(not that there's anything wrong with that, ;)).

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-25, 04:08 PM
...but you don't need voids to control the slope...
Just so it is clear as mud...the voids don't control anything (except shape), they just cut away excess material. Any of these examples can benefit from the use of voids to modify the front and back eaves in a way that a sweep or basic extrusion won't allow.

I think I prefer the actual roof with voids method (even if it is a little too much like clay modeling) because later you can just change the pitch of the roof and the void adjusts accordingly since the roof itself defines the plane the voids exist in, not a separate reference plane or other geometry.

PeterJ
2004-08-25, 06:01 PM
Would be handy to establish an angled ref plane and simply draw a roof by extrusion though. This way your roof can have a proper build up of layers. None of the other approaches allow this.

Jay Zallan
2006-07-21, 02:32 AM
Would be handy to establish an angled ref plane and simply draw a roof by extrusion though. This way your roof can have a proper build up of layers. None of the other approaches allow this.

I have been trying this with no luck, do you know of any assets i can refer to (posts, etc) i have created ref planes, named them as help says and cannot pick during roof by extrusion. i must pick a plane before sketching lines and i cannot choose any ref planes.
HELP!!! + i'll try one of these other ways...

Thx,
-J

ejburrell67787
2006-07-21, 09:12 AM
I have been trying this with no luck, do you know of any assets i can refer to (posts, etc) i have created ref planes, named them as help says and cannot pick during roof by extrusion. i must pick a plane before sketching lines and i cannot choose any ref planes.
HELP!!! + i'll try one of these other ways...

Thx,
-JSet work plane (option in the design bar or button in too bar at the top) and choose "by name" option... or is this what you say doesn't work?

Scott Hopkins
2006-07-22, 02:02 AM
A very ingenious and useful method! Nice post Steve!