PDA

View Full Version : Unable to join roofs.

barathd
2004-08-24, 07:37 PM
I am unable to join and then cut out the redundant portion of this roof. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I rather doubt the roofs are coplanar. I really don't know how to align the roofs either. Unfortunately I can't reduce the file size even though i have erased everything but the roof and purged the file - still seems to be 7 Meg. I don't understand why it is so large since there is very little information with in the model. I am including a jpg image of the roof. I would like to upload the file but I don't know how to get it below 2 meg.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dick Barath

aaronrumple
2004-08-24, 07:45 PM
Copy/Paste the roof into an empty project....

barathd
2004-08-24, 08:07 PM
Aaron like usual your "right spot on". Here is the file.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Dick Barath

barathd
2004-08-24, 10:23 PM
Really desperate to complete this project - stuck on roof. Anyone have any suggestions.

Thanks again.

Regards

Dick Barath

Scott D Davis
2004-08-24, 11:11 PM
Dick,

here you go...file with old roof, and new roof so you can compare. I created the majority of the roof with one sketch, and the two dormers separately. The dormers are attached with the Join Roof tool, and the dormer openings cut with the Opening tool on the modeling tab.

The front edge of the main roof (where the dormers are) has the sketch line that defines it, offset while in sketch mode in the properties 2'-0 3/8" upward. (That eave is that much higher than the back eave at the same slope...switched to elevation view and used tape masure to find the distance.)

hope that helps!

barathd
2004-08-24, 11:29 PM
Scott:

Thanks ever so much - you saved my bacon. Not taking anything away from your effort (praise in the highest regard) I am endlessly amazed at the simplicity of the program - I keep looking for much more elaborate solutions then obviously are needed. You will be relieved to know I am signed up to take the "roof construction" course tomorrow.

Thanks once again.

Regards

Dick Barath