PDA

View Full Version : is there a way to not have curtain mullion joints show?

Justin Marchiel
2008-01-16, 06:30 PM
I really don't want the curtain mullions to show the joints. i would like the mullions to show as if there where continuous. I know i can use the linework tool to remove the small line at the joint, but in a case where i might use this curtain wall 100 times in a job it could be a lot of work to remove these lines in all views.

Thanks

Justin

patricks
2008-01-16, 06:42 PM
Either linework or building an actual custom window family is the only way that I know of.

Why don't you want the lines to show? They'll be there in real life, assuming it's a normal curtain wall system.

Justin Marchiel
2008-01-16, 06:50 PM
well i am using it for borrowed lites that would actually be pressed steel frames. I could make custom families for the BL but that could amount to a lot of different families. i can have a curtain wall and design what i want. keeps me more flexible incase the designer architect says we should have a mullion here, or none here.

Justin

c-hawk
2008-01-16, 09:50 PM
I would suggest simply removing the curtain grid segments where you don't want to see them. this would allow you to add/remove mullions as needed. After the design is more so finished, you can delineate the curtain wall is it will be built.

mrice.47661
2008-01-16, 10:03 PM
I would argue that using a properly created door or window family may be more advantageous in this situation. First of all, as you stated, you'd avoid all the tedium of hiding the linework at the joints. Second, if you were smart about how the families were made (ie paramteric control of side-lite widths, etc.), then there may not be quite as many frames as you might think. Also - keeping to a more regular configuration would benefit not only the Revit process, but also the construction process (and budget!).

Its actually a good example of how using BIM can help make us think a little more during the design process.

Just my 2 cents.

Justin Marchiel
2008-01-16, 10:46 PM
i would agree that there are some instances when making the correct family the first time saves time and effort. And yes it can help in the BIM world, but there are cases where having a one-off, or the ability to make changes would be much better with curtain grids.

i can understand cost savings based on repetition, but that doesn't always work. I can understand all the arguments for and against. I was really just looking for an answer to the origianl questions, not really why or why not i should be using it. sorry for the rant.

Justin