PDA

View Full Version : Y2K8 Bug NOT fixed

wmullett
2008-01-17, 08:47 PM
We are working with complex groups that have wall and floor based families in them but not the wall or floor. When you do this and save the group out of the project, REVIT includes temporary walls and floors to host those elements. (You can tell they are temporary because they are ghosted.) When you insert the group into a model, these families find their appropriate hosting elements and the ghosted hosts go away.

Things were working great in December but then everything went to pot the first week of January. We could not write out our groups to use in another project. We then found out about the Y2K8 problem and we downloaded the Fix last week and installed it this week.

We can now write out the group .... but we soon discovered that the group now includes the hosting elements. They are no longer temporary like they were before the fix and even worse, the group is now level based. In other words, if you save it out of the second level, thats the only level it comes into.

Excluding walls and floors from group instances doesn't work because you can't do globally, only individually for all x00 rooms.

Darn !!! I guess I have to use the old build and reset my date to last year.

AutoDESK, please H E L P

nj_lockwood
2008-01-17, 10:13 PM
Hi WMullett,

I cannot speak to the Y2K8 bug, but I have a recommendation you can try that may help you with the problem related to saving the groups (once that works again) and reloading them.

You are correct that as currently implemented, the new save group implementation is not very good for the case of groups of hosted family instances where they are hosted family instances in the same group requiring multiple external hosts.

Regarding the problem you are experiencing, I understand the problem about including the hosted elements. The "level based" problem is less clear to me.

Here is a potential workaround for the "including hosts" problem. I am not sure if it will help you or not:

1.) create "subgroups" of the hosted family instances, with one subgroup per different host.
2.) Make your group that you are using be a group of those subgroups.
3.) If editing the subgroups individually is sufficient, revit supports exchanging them to and from an external rvt file without including the hosts when loading them (there will be a dialog asking you what you want to do with them).
4.) If you prefer to edit them as you wanted to, in relation to each other, create a duplicate group to the one that you place in your project. Edit or save that one (it will have the subgroups). When you reload it, it will also reload the subgroups, and those will update in the instances of the original group that you placed.
5.) Alternatively, you might be able to make just one subgroup of all the hosted family instances and do something similar to what I described in #4.

I hope this helps.

I would encourage you to file a request to support about the "include hosts" problem, and also file a defect report to support about the "becoming level based" issue so that we can determine what that is about.

wmullett
2008-01-17, 11:46 PM
I don't think you understand. Your item 3 is where the problem is. This is no longer functioning. It was in December.

I have tried to place a support request via the website but something is also messed up there. I registered - it then kicks me to the logon screen with my name but it will not accept my password. I then ask it to email me my password but it says I don't exist .... even though it used my name.

Go figure ???? Just not my day.

dfriesen
2008-01-18, 12:28 AM
I don't think you understand. Your item 3 is where the problem is. This is no longer functioning. It was in December.

I have tried to place a support request via the website but something is also messed up there. I registered - it then kicks me to the logon screen with my name but it will not accept my password. I then ask it to email me my password but it says I don't exist .... even though it used my name.

FYI, editing groups from the project browser works fine for me now with the new build (20080101_2345).

As for the support request problem, your serial number was probably reset to 000-000000. The solution for that is described in this thread (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=60834&highlight=Licpath.lic).

Rick Houle
2008-01-18, 05:32 PM
IS anyone seeing the issue of Walls (or other elements) removing themselves from their respective groups.? I have a user who swears some of his groups are changed from yesterday's save. The history shows him alone in the files, and he is saavy enough to know what he's doing... But his walls have been removed from three of his groups. And those walls are now live in the model in each instance.
HE may be smoking something, but given this new build, he has my curiousity..!

sbrown
2008-01-18, 09:17 PM
Not sure, but i've had that issue with older builds where certain elements are excluded from the group without me telling them to be. Are the actually deleted or excluded?

wmullett
2008-01-22, 02:03 PM
IS anyone seeing the issue of Walls (or other elements) removing themselves from their respective groups.? I have a user who swears some of his groups are changed from yesterday's save. The history shows him alone in the files, and he is saavy enough to know what he's doing... But his walls have been removed from three of his groups. And those walls are now live in the model in each instance.
HE may be smoking something, but given this new build, he has my curiousity..!

My issue is not items removed from groups, it's items included that I didn't include. Another problem is the group seems to become level dependent. That may because it includes my floor (which I didn't include.)

I finally got my support request in so we will see how AutoDESK responds.

wmullett
2008-01-22, 03:36 PM
We have a work around that works in the older build. We do not save the group to a file. Instead we copy from one model and paste into the other. Now the hosting (not included in group) walls and floors show as temporary and do not transfer.

If there are no walls/floors in the new model to host some elements, we can add the hosting elements and then pick the group and "restore all excluded" to recover the whole group.

ErichB
2008-01-22, 04:59 PM
I am not sure if this is related to the Y2K8 bug or not, but we have been having some strange things happen with the family editor lately. It is tough to reproduce, but I saw this with my own eyes and attached the file of the result.

Here is what happened: We had a refrigerator family that we needed to edit. When we opened the family from the condo unit layout it brought in with it a bed, two tables and four lamps. I have used the refrigerator family before and there was not a bed associated with it! We had a similar problem opening a door family. Some of the furniture came with it. If you load it into a project, then re-open the file, the furniture disappears.

Today when I tried to open the same family, it opened fine without the furniture. Very strange...Anyone having similar issues?

Thanks!

Rick Houle
2008-01-22, 10:33 PM
Are the actually deleted or excluded?

The items are removed from the group but not from the project.
User now has those items "live" wherever the group exists...

I have other instabilities occurring as well... objects seem to be making their own decisions as to what group or family they belong to... I have also had items add themselves to groups on their own.
THis is occurring within families also. See ErichB post...

mmiles
2008-01-28, 06:03 PM
I am having some odd things happen with the Y2k8 fix:

1. esc key no longer cancels commands or de-selects items
2. Help menu does not hide behind windows - close, or minimize is only way to remove it from blocking windows.
3. There is something else...but I cannot recall what it is...sorry.

Not sure if it is related, or just me, but my family editing sessions are doing unexpected things, too. At moment, I am having trouble with symbolic lines (but I thought I was doing something incorrectly, so I am pursuing that route).