PDA

View Full Version : How create quoins

Carlos GT
2008-01-18, 01:46 AM
What is the best way to create quoins in a wall or around a window?. My firtst idea would be create a component (solid) and attach it to the wall; but I think this is too muck work, specially if you have quoins of different sizes.

Any better ideas?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-18, 03:59 AM
You have to consider a few things.
How many of these elements are in the project?
What are the sizes/spacings etc?
How often you do buildings with this type of detail?
How you want it to look in plan/elevation/section/3D?

All that said, check out Revit City. A quick search found two families that seem fully adjustable. For your window it's probably not worth the trouble to create a fully flexible family and an in place family is the easiest solution.

sbrown
2008-01-18, 03:59 PM
Here is the qoin family I use for corners. Its not too much work. Its just diff. work.

Carlos GT
2008-01-18, 04:18 PM
Thanks guys!

patricks
2008-01-18, 05:18 PM
Well Scott's certainly looks better than mine. I did a simple one really meant to be used as brick-projected quoin in a brick wall, and it's wall hosted. Scott's is more for a stone or pre-cast concrete quoin.

ws
2008-01-18, 05:50 PM
Also many thanks

Most buildings I do have quoins of one sort or another (usually rough stone) and I'm sure it must be possible to generate them up a corner(?) but so far I just use in place families of individual stones and copy them up the corner.

The ones from Revitcity.com that Dimitri kindly pointed out don't seem to work quite right for me - they do not alternate size up the stack (narrow, wide, narrow, wide etc.)

There is a stacked quoin family in the Metric content supplied with Revit and I've attached it here in case it's of any use - but I found it didn't stretch properly in total height.

Scott and Patricks' quoins seem to work fine :beer: