PDA

View Full Version : Finding Imported Files

B. Strube
2004-08-24, 10:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out how I can find all of the imported .dwg files (not linked) in a project. The object styles list the Imported Objects, but I want to be able to find out exactly where and in what view a specific .dwg is. I know that when a .dwg is imported it becomes a System family; Imported Symbol, but I do not know how to track them all down....and I'm dealing with hundreds of views that may or may not have one. Anyone have an idea? It would be great if I could schedule them and find them like the door schedule.

aggockel50321
2004-08-25, 12:01 PM
I know of no way to find them (imported dwg's) other than to toggle through the views & track them down.

If linked, at least you get a listing in the Manage Links dialog, where you can see a full listing for the project, & delete them or reload modified dwgs, but still no info on what view the dwg resides (if linked in "current view only").

Your idea to manage them makes sense.

Add it as a wishlist item.

Garn
2004-08-26, 03:45 AM
The only thing I could suggest is setting up a shared (URL or text) project parameter for the views. Then creating a view list containing at least the imported dwg parameter and the view name. This will give you something like a schedule list.

There are two limitations to this approach which are: 1) you cannot have more than one imported dwg per view in the project parameter 2) I haven't figured out a quick way to select the file apart from cutting and pasting the filename and location from Explorer into the parameter.

B. Strube
2004-08-31, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the help. For all of the tracking that is possible, it seams odd that you can not find these files. I will be sure to get this of the wish list.

fernando
2004-09-28, 10:12 PM
i find my imported dwg in my view s's
but after i delete them...
and even purge my drawing i don't get free of them
they disappear from my view's but they still list in the VG box
any idea on how to get free of them???

i am working in a project where I would love to get ride of them

help

funkman
2005-07-22, 05:54 AM
I am setting up a new project template and I can't seem to get rid of these old imported dwg files either. Any advance on this issue yet?

Sweetshelby
2006-03-13, 07:32 PM
Has anyone found a way to find these missing files? Or are we just out of luck?

BIM Cat
2017-05-15, 07:07 AM
Sorry for digging this up, but I also struggled to track imported DWGs even now in 2017!

For those also looking for an answer, we unfortunately can't do it without a Revit addin, at least for now... There are several out there. I'm just using DWG Explorer (http://rv-boost.com/revit-plugins/dwg-explorer/) to investigate each imported file visually & delete persisting import symbols directly from VG.

Does anyone know a better solution?