PDA

View Full Version : Callout views

bengo
2008-01-18, 03:39 PM
Hey everyone
Is it possible to create a callout view that has irregular boundaries.
Thanks

DaveP
2008-01-18, 03:58 PM
Short answer - Nope.

You can only create a rectangular Callout. If you want to do something like an L-shaped boundary, you have to drop a Filled Region over the top of your View.

You can also create the Callout and the Rotate it. It's still going to be a rectangle, but it can be at an angle. The big caveat with this is that when you place the View on a Sheet, it's still going to be Orthogonal, so your View is no longer oriented the same as the building.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-18, 03:58 PM
Nope. The easiest workaround is to use masking regions to create the shaped view you are after.

bengo
2008-01-18, 04:06 PM
After looking naroud, that's the answer I was afraid to get. Too bad.

One other thing I was wondrering. Why, when I rotate my boundary, do I have to turn it the opposite way I need it?

Thanks

DaveP
2008-01-18, 04:20 PM
Not quite sure what you mean by the opposite way, but remember, you're rotating th boundary, not the elements within. Kind of like holding a picture frame over a table. You're not moving the table, you're spinning the frame.

patricks
2008-01-18, 08:21 PM
The crop region of a callout has a "top" side, and that side is always towards the top of the sheet. In order to rotate the contents of your callout to the right, you're actually moving what was towards the left up to the top. So that's why you rotate your crop region to the left. It's as if the "top" side of the crop region grabs the drawing at the left side, and "snaps" it back up to the "top" of the crop region. That "snapping" is actually the contents of the crop region rotating to the right.

Think of you seated at a table, with an object on the table over to your left side. You want to move that object over to the RIGHT to be in front of you, but to do that, you have to reach your arm over to the LEFT first, and then move it to the right to be in front of you. Got it now? :)

bengo
2008-01-21, 02:01 AM
Quite logical. Thanks for the answer.

t1.shep
2008-02-12, 08:11 PM
Let's say that I accept that for now I can't make a polygonal callout. And let's say I'm okay with using masking regions to create the area that I want for that view...
When I go back to the original plan with the callout, how can I modify the boundary to look like it's calling out the masked region?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-02-13, 01:54 AM
All I can suggest is to use graphic overrides and modify the color of the callout boundary to white. You can then sketch in a boundary of whatever shape is suitable. Not very Revit-like

antman
2011-10-18, 06:38 PM
I don't suppose this has changed in the 4 releases since this thread?

DaveP
2011-10-18, 06:46 PM
I repeat:
Short answer - Nope.

MikeJarosz
2015-08-18, 01:58 PM
Stumbled onto this today. Just to set the record, cropping views can now be edited. One warning though - don't use any diagonal lines. It blows up the file size enormously.

Joshua Kohl
2015-08-19, 11:48 AM
They can also be created with an irregular shape to start with.

david_peterson
2015-08-19, 02:36 PM
Just be careful when you do this. Not sure if they've fixed it for 2016, but if you used cropped or sketched regions like that, it would generate giant pdf file sizes and would make your model crawl. Huge performance hits. But maybe that's fixed in 2016. Fingers crossed.