PDA

View Full Version : New member, with a few questions

slow1eo
2008-01-18, 06:29 PM
Greetings,
I have been wanting to learn Revit for a while now so decided to give it a try!

Anyway, I did the "getting started booklet", which was not as in depth as I would have liked to be and now I'm trying to redo a small project in Revit (previosly done in AutoCAD).

I haven't gone too far yet and I already have questions! How do you make a double casement window? like in this pic

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/3961/2032001ig7.jpg

I loaded the "Casement 3x3 with Trim" but I couldn't find anywhere an option to double it up.

Do I need to create an new family window for my specific needs?

thanks
leo

barathd
2008-01-18, 06:39 PM
Go to www.dgcad.com and view all the free content to get a feel for what your doing. Worth while buying the remaining content.

Good luck

rmejia
2008-01-18, 07:29 PM
Do I need to create an new family window for my specific needs?

Yep. The family editor is a tool you should try out too. The families usually stretch height and width, but do not change type, such as from single to a double window. Check out the content that came with Revit, there should be double windows, or try out looking for families to download in sites like http://www.revitcity.com

slow1eo
2008-01-18, 08:17 PM
Yep. The family editor is a tool you should try out too. The families usually stretch height and width, but do not change type, such as from single to a double window. Check out the content that came with Revit, there should be double windows, or try out looking for families to download in sites like http://www.revitcity.com

Thanks, I notice there was a family of double casement and a family of single casement w/ 3x3 mullions. I need both :D

Anyway, I'm doing a tut right now that should explain me how to do the mullions, so I can add it to the double casement... we'll see how it goes.

I'll also check revitcity

leo

Gadget Man
2008-01-20, 01:08 AM
Leo,

Welcome to the REVIT world. You've chosen wisely.

A word of advice. If you have enough time and determination make sure you build your own family of that window. And all the others. And the cupboards, and doors, and anything else for that matter...

Why? Several reasons, including these:
Learning to build your own families is the quickest way to know Revit inside-out, all its underlining logic, dependencies and shortcommings.
Ability to build your own families makes you totally independent of others. You can create quickly whatever you need, when you need it and exactly the way you need it. There may be many ready-to-use window families on the market but none EXACTLY in the style or look you want. Knowing your families means that you don't have to change/lower you standards just because there are no right objects available to you.
When you build a library of your own families you may want to sell them, generating an additional income for you. I don't do it but I know of some people that do.
It is very rewarding and satysfying to create a complicated fully parametric family that magically performs all the tricks you want. I personally can't resist these moments of pleasure...

The best way to learn a particular family is to take a ready-made one and take it appart. See how it is created, look for the underlining "framework" of the Reference Planes and Lines. See how they are locked/dimentioned to each other and the labels are created and used to control your family.

Have a lot of fun and good luck!!!

slow1eo
2008-01-23, 05:10 PM
Thanks a lot!

I have been working on my first custom window family and I pretty much nailed the elevation and the 3d in terms of expected details

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5274/revitwindowprogressji8.jpg

could someone guide me a little on how to fix the plan view, so it looks more like the first drawing that I posted. I imagine I need to hide some of the 3d and somehow draw the extra detail on 2d (where do I even find the lineweights?)

I'll keep looking at tutorials, but any help would be appreciated

Leo