PDA

View Full Version : Copy and Paste text from one project to another

Davied2
2008-01-21, 02:26 PM
Hi All

I have a huge worksetted Revit project and some clever sole has selected ALL instances and deleted ALL text from the project. This probably happened last week and has only now been noticed so Rolling the project back will lose us too much work.

Instead I rolled back and "saved as" an old verion which has all the required text and I was hoping to cut and paste the text from the one older version of the project into the new one.

I have had both projects open and cut and paste from and into the same views however it will not let me successfully paste all the text.

Does anyone have any clever ideas please ?

Regards

Dave

SCShell
2008-01-21, 03:21 PM
Hey there,
I don't understand....
I assume that you copy all text notes from one project by right clicking and selecting all instances, then, without closing that project, you open the window for the new project and hit edit>paste align.
And that doesn't work?

Steve

Davied2
2008-01-21, 03:44 PM
Hi Steve

Exactly - it should work but doesnt - When pasting I only get the option to paste in current view only and when I do this the text copies into the current view but the rest of the text is ignored and not copied over.

I thought I was doing something wrong but have just tried it again and it doesnt work.

Any thoughts ?

Dave

SCShell
2008-01-21, 04:38 PM
Hey Dave,
I think that you may have to do it page by page; however, I have never tried this method with text as you describe:

After you select all instances of text, try edit>paste aligned>select views by name
(Do a multiple selection of all views that you had text in to be pasted to.)

I have only done this when I have one item that I want pasted to all views, like a note on the bottom of all of my sheets; however, this may work in your case.
You never know 'till ya try.

Good luck and let us know.
Steve

gwnelson
2008-01-21, 04:45 PM
I second Steve's "less is more" approach. Sometimes there's no obvious reason why something can't go from one to the other, but making the selection set smaller or ensuring that all items are the same type seems to help.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-21, 04:50 PM
I think you're hooped here. AFAIK one view at at a time is the only way this works. I believe the Selected views aproach will only work with one item selected or multiple items in one view selected (which makes sense when you really think about it).
I suggest assigning this task to some 'clever sole' :(

Good luck

Davied2
2008-01-21, 05:39 PM
Guys

Many thanks for the replies.

We have figured a way of doing it by using the "Paste from clipboard" command.

However, this wont allow us to specify a point to insert the text so what we have done this:

1. Opened both version of the project (one with the text, another without the text)

2. Ensured that projects have the same floor as current view (eg ground) and closed all other views.

3. I have drawn some detailed lines on the corner of a part of the building in the (text) project that I am going to cut/copy from.

4. Select all instances of TEXT and also select the detailed lines I have just drawn.

5. Copy selection to clipboard.

6. In the other project Paste from clipboard (into the same view, eg ground floor) but it doesnt paste in the correct place in plan, but then move the pasted selection into place using the detail lines as a guide (eg corner of building)

This works fine, sorry for the long winded explanation but it seems to work.

Thanks for you help guys.

Dave

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-21, 05:53 PM
So this works and places text in all views at once?