PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions in dependent views

thomasf
2008-01-22, 05:38 PM
I am using the dependent view feature for the first time and have an issue. In the mian view we have dimensioned the entire plan. However, when we go look at the dependent views only the dimensions entirely within that view are shown, any dimension that crosses the cut plane is not displayed. So, my overall dims can not be seen in either one of the dependent views.

How do y'all get around that?

Andre Carvalho
2008-01-22, 06:37 PM
You have to turn off the option Annotation Crop on the dependent views. You can find this option on the View Properties dialog box.

Regards,

Andre Carvalho

patricks
2008-01-22, 07:19 PM
Negative, a dimension crossing a matchline in a dependent view, referencing 2 points each contained in each separate dependent view will not display in either dependent view, regardless of whether the annotation crop is on or off.

And when dependent views are used, it is HIGHLY advised to keep the annotation crop turned on in each view. Otherwise, every time you place any kind of keynote, text note, etc. in either view, you have to remember to switch over to the other view and hide it.

In the last project I did with dependent views, I just had my overall dimensions showing on the overall plan, and didn't worry about showing it on the dependent views. I only showed the bay-to-bay spacing on the dependent views, except for the bay crossing the match line. The dimension for that bay also only shows on the overall floor plan. I think the contractor can figure it out just fine.

thomasf
2008-01-22, 07:48 PM
The only place I'm showing the whole plan is on an 1/8" scale key plan. I was hoping not to have any dims on this drawing, just my section markers. It doesn't make much sense to have half the dims in one view and the other half on another. It probably won't work down here cause most framer are illegal immigrants that can barely speak or read english.

Caulk up another one for the wish list I guess.

aaronrumple
2008-01-22, 08:17 PM
....cause most framer are illegal immigrants that can barely speak or read english.

Then you don't even need dimensions.... it will save a lot of time.

barathd
2008-01-22, 10:55 PM
It probably won't work down here cause most framer are illegal immigrants that can barely speak or read english.

We have plenty of yuppies, guppies and their puppies that can't read dimensions here as well. For good measure you can throw in a few "guitar hero's" to boot.

SCShell
2008-01-23, 01:45 PM
For good measure you can throw in a few "guitar hero's" to boot.

Hmmmmm, I think that I represent that remark?! LOL

And.....maybe some people just need to improve their communication skills.
I live and practice in Tucson, Arizona. We are a hop, skip and jump from the Mexican border. We have a HUGE Mexican work force, many of whom do not speak our language; however, that is not a basis to judge their workmanship nor their skill level! I have learned most of what I know about construction from such "immigrants".
I guess it also doesn't help that I was raised part of life in Mexico and I didn't speak their language at first either.....I remember how that felt, even after all of these years!

(Never judge a book....an immigrant....or a long hair by their appearance or inability to speak YOUR language.)

Respectfully submitted,
Steve

thomasf
2008-01-23, 02:44 PM
It always amazes me what people read when they read between the lines. My comments did not put into question anybody's skills or workmanship. I was merely pointing out that if it's confusing to people that do speak, read & understand the language (whether it's english, or french, spanish or zaweli) it's probably more confusing to people who don't!

If you read anything more into my statement than that, well that's on you!

aaronrumple
2008-01-23, 02:59 PM
(Never judge a book....an immigrant....or a long hair by their appearance or inability to speak YOUR language.)

...or marry one like I did. ;-)

cdsuggs
2016-03-02, 06:11 PM
...cause most framer are illegal immigrants that can barely speak or read english.

16" is 16" inches in every language.