PDA

View Full Version : Reference 3D views

Tyveka
2008-01-22, 05:58 PM
Question - we are trying to incorporate 3D views as details in our project. Take plumbing riser diagrams as an example - because we put the pipes in Revit MEP in 3D, we want to leverage the 3D capabilities to generate a quick riser diagram. In plan, we want to draw a callout symbol (or whatever it takes) that reference the 3D view that we generated. I've noticed that this seems to be not possible.

Is there any way to reference a 3D view from a callout view or some other type of view? We want it automated and automatically coordinated like most of the other view elements in Revit.

We're applying this to architectural details as well, which is why I'm posting here. The MEP example is just that - an example.

Thank you!

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-01-22, 06:19 PM
Can't do it at this time. It's been on my wish list for a while now.
The workaround is to export the 3D view (either as an image or a line drawing) and then place it in a drafting view. It won't be 'live' but it does the job.

dhurtubise
2008-01-23, 01:02 PM
You can also create an empty view and slide the 3D view in it.

Tyveka
2008-01-23, 05:46 PM
What do you mean by creating and empty view and sliding the 3D view into it? Do you still have to export the 3D view? Or would it maintain itself intelligently?

Thank you!

dhurtubise
2008-01-23, 05:54 PM
You are basically overlapping 2 views on the sheet. So yes the 3D data will be intelligent so will be numbering.

Tyveka
2008-01-23, 10:07 PM
So how do you create an empty view and drag it onto a sheet?
I get the message that "You cannot place an empty view on a sheet" from Revit when trying to do that.

If you can help me with that, then this method will be the way to go.

Thank you for the workaround!

dhurtubise
2008-01-23, 10:24 PM
Create a callout from a floor plan, turn off all the geometry. THat will be your "empty"view. And it will stay coordinated

dfriesen
2008-01-23, 10:24 PM
So how do you create an empty view and drag it onto a sheet?
I get the message that "You cannot place an empty view on a sheet" from Revit when trying to do that.
1. Create a new drafting view
2. Draw a line in the drafting view
3. Place the drafting view on the sheet
4. Delete the line in the drafting view