PDA

View Full Version : TEXT TO SCALE W/ VIEW

roy.kendall
2008-01-23, 04:44 PM
I am trying to get the text in my plan to scale up or down with the scale of the plan itself. I know that I can change the scale of the view and then change the scale of the text, that works. But that seems like a lot of work. Specially when I have three different sheets w/ three different scales. I need it to rescale after I duplicate the plan for the different sheet scales. Any thoughts? Is this even possible?

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-23, 05:02 PM
The text sizes in Revit are based on their actual size on the sheets, so you dont have to have different "text scales" like we used to in the old days of AutoCAD.

But, if its necessary for certain presentations, what i do is the following:

Select everything in the view, and filter down to just the text. If its all the same style of text, simply change it and adjust it as necessary.

Although, when i get in to situations where i have the same text on multiple sized drawings, id start to consider using some sort of Detail Group arrangement. Otherwise, youll be changing every note three times...

roy.kendall
2008-01-23, 05:29 PM
Well, we use three different plot sizes. 8.5x11, 11x17, and 24x36. We are making the plans as 3/32" and then duplicating w/ details. When we change the view for the duplicated views to 1/8" and 1/4", as to fit on the 11x17 and 24x36. When we do this it does not scale text with the view. In AutoCAD we did the same thing but in the view port of paperspace it would resize the text with the plan to be proportionate.

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-23, 05:42 PM
Text behaves differently in the two programs.

In AutoCAD, the text was "in the model" so to speak, so two things were true: It would only have to be changed once, and its size changed depending on the scale of the drawings.

In Revit, text belongs to the view its created in, and it is not "in the model." This is (in most cases) beneficial, as we no longer need a variety of text styles / dim styles, and so on.

In some cases, youll have to adapt and get used to the different behavior. We have faced this trial too, when weve wanted the same drawing on three different sized sheets (picky clients, hehehe). As i said, when that is the case, youll have to pick between grouping the text and having them all update together, or having the text be different sizes on the sheets. I dont believe you can get both...

dhurtubise
2008-01-23, 05:57 PM
You could achieve that using keynotes to

Scott D Davis
2008-01-23, 07:22 PM
Text doesn't scale in Revit. Text remains a "size". 1/8" Text will always be 1/8" text no matter the scale of the view. 1/2" diameter section heads will always 1/2". Model elements change scale.

You can, however, print different sheet sizes by plotting to a percentage. You can plot a 30x42 sheet on an 11 x 17 sheet of paper by plotting at 37%. All "plotted" information will be scaled by 37%.

So you can set up predefined plot settings, leaving your sheets in Revit at their "normal" size...say its 24x36....and then have different percentages to plot on 11x17 and 8.5 x 11.

roy.kendall
2008-01-23, 09:15 PM
But if I print at a percentage, then the prints will not scale correctly.

This sucks. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I guess I will have to live with it.

Thanks for all the input.

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-23, 09:21 PM
I guess depending on the amount of text, you could consider Model Text if its REALLY an issue... But thats going to open the door up to a host of other issues. (Like, you know... There will be text in all of your rooms, sitting on the floor, haha...)

It seems like it sucks now, but once you get in the habit of not "looking for the replacement tools" from AutoCAD, youll be all set. :)

Scott D Davis
2008-01-24, 12:24 AM
But if I print at a percentage, then the prints will not scale correctly.

This sucks. Not the answer I was hoping for, but I guess I will have to live with it.

Thanks for all the input.

That fact that someone is scaling from your prints is what sucks. Scaling off plans that can vary greatly for the same sized sheet being plotted on two different printers is an issue.

But to answer your concern: If you have 1/8" scale view at 24 x 36 and plot them at 50%, then you have 1/16" scale views. You just need to plot to percentages that produce "appropriate" scales. The 37% I suggested earlier obviously wouldn't work for you.

roy.kendall
2008-01-25, 05:30 PM
You're right it did work, but know it scales to 1/8" on 24x36 and says the scale is 1/4" on the title bar and in the title block. Any thoughts on how to resole that issue?

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-25, 05:43 PM
One way (and its a band aid on a broken leg) is to have your view title say "see graphical scale" and to have an object in the Model or viewport, that has a graphical scale. You could use a detail component or some sort of generic model...