PDA

View Full Version : Toggle Text off and on in a Titleblock.

scowsert
2008-01-24, 04:11 PM
In our Title block we have an engineer stamp. On top of it we have Text "Not for Construction" I'd like to embed the "Not for Construction" into our Title block. Next I would like for that to be toggled on or off via project information.

Thanks for pointers. I believe its going to involve a shared parameter and a yes no toggle. I just can't get all the pieces tied together.

Carlos GT
2008-01-24, 04:45 PM
Edit your titleblock family, write the text that you want "Not for Construction" . Then go to your Family types buttom and create a new parameter, You can call it "Y/N text" or whatever you want, in the type of parameter select "instance", "Graphics" and "yes/no" type (these are the key for your parameter to work).
Now select your text "Not for Construction" and click properties, in the window that pop up, next to the visibility, there is a small square, click there and assign the parameter you created before ("Y/N text"), click OK.

Load you title block into your project. Then select your titleblock go to properties and you will find your parameter "Y/N text"; with this you can turn it on and off as you want.

I hope this help.

aggockel50321
2008-01-24, 04:49 PM
1.) Create a generic annotation family with the text "Not for Construction" at whatever size you'd like.

2.) Load the generic annotation family into your titlebox, then place it where you want it with the "Symbol" command.

3.)In your titlebox family, go to Family Types, and add a yes/no instance parameter called, say, "Not for Construction".

3.)Select the generic annotation, go to properties, and set it's visiblity parameter equal to (radio button at end) your new "Not for Construction" parameter.

4.) Save and load your titlebox into a project. You would then access the toggle by selecting the title box and going to properties. Now if you wanted the toggle to go on for all sheets in the project for that titlebox, either select them all then go to properties, or make the parameter a type parameter.

Justin Marchiel
2008-01-24, 06:18 PM
i think andrewg is correct. I dont think that you can add a visibilty parameter to a text note, only families or components.

Justin

dhurtubise
2008-01-24, 06:18 PM
I suggest making it a type properties and create different type. Then you can go to select all and change to something else

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-24, 06:56 PM
You can use a Yes/No Visibility Parameter on a piece of text. Thats how we have ours set up.

As Dan mentioned, we made it a type parameter, so we only have to change it on one sheet in the set, and they all change. I would, however, simply make it a type parameter, and i would not make different family types of the title block, with it on and off. Too many opportunities for someone to create a new sheet and drop the wrong title block down.

Select all instances and replace works, as long as its the LAST thing you do before plotting. For that reason, i have one type of titleblock, and just edit the type and click it on or off as necessary.

Hope this helps.

scowsert
2008-01-24, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the help. I've been able to get it to work with the select>Element Properties>Edit/New... Flip the switch method.

Any way to make that work within the Project Information dialog? I'd like to make that be the 'one stop shop' for title block and title block info.

twiceroadsfool
2008-01-24, 07:05 PM
That, i dont believe you can do... But its still just one additional stop, in one of the titleblocks. :)

scowsert
2008-01-24, 07:12 PM
Thats one of the best things about this site. I now know it can't be done and I can stop looking for the answer.

Thanks as always.

dhurtubise
2008-01-24, 09:54 PM
Aaron is right you wont be able to tie txt in your TB to a SP.
There culd be some working around but they wont be as effective.

SCShell
2008-01-25, 03:32 AM
Hey there,

I made a few of my labels and text notes, my seal and my "Preliminary Drawing, Not for Construction" text note as yes/no parameter instance properties so that I could control each sheet independently. I like to be able to turn them on or off depending on how I want to use the drawing.

They are instance parameters which were set up in my Title Block family. First, you have to add a parameter, (in this example, "test lettering" a simple text note.) I have it as a yes/no under the "Text" category and set it to "Instance" type. Once you have done that,
you have to highlight your text note and then select properties, and click the little (unlabeled) box to the right of "visible" and select the new parameter which corresponds to that particular note. (test lettering)
Then save it/load it into the project....voila.

Just another way to Revit into happiness!
Steve

dhurtubise
2008-01-25, 10:48 PM
If you only wanna use one type you can use a formula to control the display. So that when one is check all others are uncheck.

troy.crandell635379
2008-04-04, 10:16 PM
I know I'm getting in on this thread a little late, but what about specific tags, such as a ceiling tag? Can you toggle on/off a lable? I havent' been able to get it to work. It seems if you change your generic annotation to a tag, you can't add parameters to it. Not sure if I'm doing someting wrong or not. Any ideas?

Steve_Stafford
2008-04-05, 05:34 PM
Sure, a good example is the stock room tag. Visibility control is done for the area and volume information. Open that family up and see how it was done. Take a look at the properties for either label (area/volume), they have a parameter called Visible and a little sneaky gray button to the far right. This Associate Family Parameter button, (no tool tip or clue to what it is, sorry) will let you create a yes/no parameter to control the visibility of the label. Then you create types to define when the yes/no parameter is checked or you make the parameter and Instance which means you have to set the visibility for each tag individually...whichever way works best for your needs.

SCShell
2008-04-07, 01:53 PM
Hey there,
Steve, you are too clever!
Steve

m.thomas
2008-07-04, 12:26 PM
1.) Create a generic annotation family with the text "Not for Construction" at whatever size you'd like.

2.) Load the generic annotation family into your titlebox, then place it where you want it with the "Symbol" command.

3.)In your titlebox family, go to Family Types, and add a yes/no instance parameter called, say, "Not for Construction".

3.)Select the generic annotation, go to properties, and set it's visiblity parameter equal to (radio button at end) your new "Not for Construction" parameter.

4.) Save and load your titlebox into a project. You would then access the toggle by selecting the title box and going to properties. Now if you wanted the toggle to go on for all sheets in the project for that titlebox, either select them all then go to properties, or make the parameter a type parameter.

I have created various instance parameters for my titleblock based on the above system which works great.

Not sure If I'm missing something but in step 4 above Andrew states "Now if you wanted the toggle to go on for all sheets in the project for that titlebox, either select them all then go to properties ".

When I select sheets from the project browser and right click properties none of the tick box parameters are visible. The only way I can change is to click on the titleblock in the drawing window and click on the properties button to change.

Am I missing something as I would like the option of changing the drawing status for multiple sheets ?

N.B I do not want to use a 'type' parameter as we want to apply the drawing status on a sheet by sheet basis, not project wide.

Andre Carvalho
2008-07-04, 01:45 PM
I have created various instance parameters for my titleblock based on the above system which works great.

Not sure If I'm missing something but in step 4 above Andrew states "Now if you wanted the toggle to go on for all sheets in the project for that titlebox, either select them all then go to properties ".

When I select sheets from the project browser and right click properties none of the tick box parameters are visible. The only way I can change is to click on the titleblock in the drawing window and click on the properties button to change.

Am I missing something as I would like the option of changing the drawing status for multiple sheets ?

N.B I do not want to use a 'type' parameter as we want to apply the drawing status on a sheet by sheet basis, not project wide.

You have to keep in mind that the parameter is part of the titleblock family. Selecting the sheets on the project browser and going to "Properties" will show the properties for the sheet views and not the properties for the titleblock family. For that you have to select select the titleblock itself.

Andre Carvalho

m.thomas
2008-07-04, 02:20 PM
Ok thanks for that Andre.

At least I know I wasn't missing something, and I can now complete my titleblock family and move on to something else. :)